Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 02:56 PM

96 posts, read 250,848 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy this site and have been reading it for a while now, and I'm curious as to what people think about the relative importance of public schools "on average" for the person deciding where to buy in Westchester.

We bought almost a year ago in Hartsdale, and intend to use private schools, but I can totally understand people who place a higher premium on public schools than I do. I've also talked to a number of friends in Scarsdale, Bronxville, and Edgemont who are only there for the schools and who plan to move to lower-tax areas as soon as their kids graduate, because they want to finally buy the most comfortable house that they can afford on the kind of land that they want.

I'm curious as to what people think. Obviously buying a house is an intensely subjective decision that varies for each person, but I'm curious about how important the "public schools factor" is, on a scale of 1-10. (10 being most important.) How does it rank against square footage, NYC commute time, lot size, neighborhood, etc?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Yes. Despite the intent to use private schools the decision to buy in a good school district usually pays off for resale value and as an alternative, if finances become tough or junior gets caught partying or something.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM

44 posts, read 110,305 times
New Yawker,

If you intend on using the schools, then it would be a factor. The only reason that I can think of where the school might be a factor, even if you don't intend to use it, is if you have reasons to believe that an area with no so good schools are more prone to decline in value. For Hartsdale, I don't think that's the case.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM

44 posts, read 110,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Yes. Despite the intent to use private schools the decision to buy in a good school district usually pays off for resale value and as an alternative, if finances become tough or junior gets caught partying or something.
I don't think re-sale value gets hurt because of not so good school. You would've bought low. But in New Yawkers case, if one intends to pay for private schools, then why not just buy into a better district and pay the tax instead and not risk anything that may happen to future house value that may be related to the not so good school.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiyagi View Post
But in New Yawkers case, if one intends to pay for private schools, then why not just buy into a better district and pay the tax instead and not risk anything that may happen to future house value that may be related to the not so good school.
Because honestly, I'd prefer not to pay higher taxes for a smaller house and land merely because the public schools (which I don't intend to use) are considered good. Plus, I'm looking to live here for 30 years or more, and not looking to move as soon as my kids finish highschool. For me, the calculation was size of house, size of land, commute to NYC/convenience of train, and public schools ranked very low. I pay 12K in taxes as it is for an average school district, that's already high for me.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 AM

258 posts, read 907,888 times
I think schools and commute determine where people buy. Larchmont costs more than comparable school districts further north so it is not merely schools that determine house values but proximity to NYC. My family all live in good school districts but pay less than me for more land because I have a shorter Manhattan commute.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Around here, schools are a factor in housing more than they are almost anywhere else. You also see a lot more "nitpicking" where a district that would be "top notch" in most parts of the country can be considered "mediocre" by many here.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawker View Post
Because honestly, I'd prefer not to pay higher taxes for a smaller house and land merely because the public schools (which I don't intend to use) are considered good. Plus, I'm looking to live here for 30 years or more, and not looking to move as soon as my kids finish highschool. For me, the calculation was size of house, size of land, commute to NYC/convenience of train, and public schools ranked very low. I pay 12K in taxes as it is for an average school district, that's already high for me.
Then you're better off keeping your money in the bank. The 3 rules of real estate are . . .

Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Then you're better off keeping your money in the bank. The 3 rules of real estate are . . .
That's what I figure as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County