U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 AM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 212,786 times

Advertisements

I know that public schools in Westchester generally have a good rep. but since there are deadlines to consider I'm looking at private schools first. I visited Hudson Country Montessori and it was ok but by NYC standards (we applied to Bank Street) not great. I researched Thornton Donovan and read some shady things about the principal. Mount Tom Day School in Pelham didn't seem too impressive eaither but I wrote to them and never heard back. I do not want a religious school of any kind so that leaves out quite a few. The French American and the German School are out since we are neither. I would love a bilingual Spanish or an International School but I haven't found any. My children will be 3 and 5 for the 2011 academic school year.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't know when application deadlines are in Westchester but I might be cutting it close.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM

103 posts, read 553,588 times
I taught at a NYC private school similar to Bank Street so I think I know what you might be looking for. There's a school in West Nyack (across the Tappan Zee Bridge) that's called the Blue Rock School Blue Rock School Home Page I have never visited, know no one who works there/sends their kids there but when I have kids it's it definitely one of the schools I intend to investigate. For your 3 year old you might look into the Early Childhood Center at Sarah Lawrence in Yonkers/Bronxville. The Early Childhood Center
As far as other private schools in general in lower Westchester there's Hackley Browser Not Supported
Rye Country Day School Rye Country Day
There's also the Elmwood Day School Home | Elmwood Day School that's pretty new from what I understand.
Depending on where in Westchester you intend to live you might also want to look into schools in Connecticut.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM

57 posts, read 125,352 times
We had our two little ones at Liberty Montessori in Mamaroneck for the past two years. I was quite happy with it. There are many international students there. They are exposed to music, Spanish, Japanese, and French. They emphasize science and the arts as well. The kindergartners do great science projects each year. My three year old came home at various times talking about Martin Luther King Jr.'s message, the art of Van Gogh, and the seven continents. Our daughters flourished there. I preferred it to Hudson when I was looking at schools. I'd also checked out Mt. Tom, which is in a lovely old mansion with a fascinating history. I found Mt. Tom to be a bit too touchy feely (and I'm pretty crunchy myself). When I checked it out the Director emphasized repeatedly that self-esteem was their primary emphasis. I found the classes to be a bit too chaotic and free-form for my tastes. I appreciated the academics, structure and discipline of Liberty, which is a fairly traditional Montessori school. The teachers at Liberty were loving, calm, and very responsive to the children...each child was challenged to his/her own levels and interests. It's definitely worth considering if you like the Montessori approach.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,970,596 times
Here are two more--neither in southern Westchester and neither equivalent to Bank Street, but I've heard good things about both.

Rippowam Cisqua (Katonah)
Browser Not Supported

Soundview (Yorktown Heights)
Soundview Preparatory School » Home

For preschool, the Early Childhood center at Sarah Lawrence, which someone mentioned above, is very much akin to Bank Street.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,163,018 times
For what it's worth, you may want to attend an open house at the French and German schools and see if you like it (you just might).

Otherwise, try Hackley in Tarrytown, Greenwich Academy, Horace Mann and Riverday Country Day.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 212,786 times
Thank you all! I will look into these and let you know what I find. I already love ECC! Totally impractical schedule but great learning environment and school philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County