U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM

19,011 posts, read 27,696,967 times

Advertisements

To those of you commuting to midtown from anywhere in Westchester about 45 minutes train time to Grand Central:

Does anyone park and ride?? I hear some parking lots have a 5 to 7 year waiting list

I've been looking up living places along new haven, harlem and hudson lines 45 min or less from midtown, and it always seems like I find a great place but it's a 25 min walk to the train or if it's closer, the rent is atrocious if it has to be a decent living place.

It's not like I can't afford it, but a bachelor spending 2K+ for a month's rent is appearing sour in my mind. My father will come out of the grave and hit me with a club

Please advise. If there are parking options, I can stay far off from the train.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM

132 posts, read 482,109 times
I think the years long waiting lists for parking were when the economy was in better shape. There is no wait for resident parking at the Dobbs Ferry lot I know. Not sure about non-resident. I'd just call the towns and see if there is one. I imagine you'll be able to find a lot to park in without much trouble.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM

44 posts, read 104,894 times
You should be able to find a decent place within walking distance to a Metro North station for under $2K. For example, in White Plains, look into a complex called Fulton Gardens. Address is 25 County Center Rd.

EDIT: Just tried a craigslist search on the above place and nothing came up, which probably means they're full. But it's the kind of place that you an drive up, find the super, and inquire about any vacancies. It's not a fancy place, but very practical.

Last edited by mrmiyagi; 11-04-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM

836 posts, read 2,230,140 times
What about the apartments on Garth Rd in Eastchester (walk to Scarsdale train) or on E Hartsdale Ave (walk to Hartsdale train)???

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM

346 posts, read 670,142 times
White Plains has a 3yr waiting list for the covered garage, but you can "park and ride" at the county center for $6/day. 35 min express to GCT.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM

69 posts, read 234,514 times
I agree with hominamad. Park at County Center parking lot and quick walk to the train. I do not commute every day, but when I go to Manhattan, that is what I do.
Also, there is a pay lot at North White Plains west of the tracks. Not sure if it is always available. I am also told that there is no wait at the Harrison station on the New Haven line.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
White Plains has a 3yr waiting list for the covered garage, but you can "park and ride" at the county center for $6/day. 35 min express to GCT.
Do you know if they have a monthly package by any chance?? Let me try googling it. Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibgo View Post
I agree with hominamad. Park at County Center parking lot and quick walk to the train. I do not commute every day, but when I go to Manhattan, that is what I do.
Also, there is a pay lot at North White Plains west of the tracks. Not sure if it is always available. I am also told that there is no wait at the Harrison station on the New Haven line.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try finding this out.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Thanks for responding guys. Please keep posting I'll be reaching JFK on the 13th and I need to figure things out really fast.

Those scarsdale and hartsdale areas, are they good ones?? I know westchester is great overall. But someone told me "North" White Plains is kind of "low key" and might contain a few criminal elements. Don't wanna get holed up in a bizarre place

Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 AM

10,918 posts, read 28,859,284 times
It's important to know what your friend means by North White Plains as there is a North White Plains MNRR station as well, which is a good neighborhood, mostly single-family homes, and most having Valhalla schools. Some parts of White Plains are still transitional, but there are also good, stable communities in the city.

Hartsdale and Scarsdale are fine, but in the Village of Scarsdale, you will pay a premium. Garth Road is fine, but parking can be a problem. There are apartments in Hartsdale that are larger complexes and have parking. The Bronxville P.O. in Yonkers suffers a similar issue, with respect to parking, and while the Village of Bronxville has issues with parking and apartments, there are lots where you can obtain a residential permit as no vehicles are permitted on the street overnight in Bronxville. Adjacent areas of Tuckahoe might also be a good place to look as there are some condominium buildings that have parking. Tarrytown might also be a place where you would find an apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County