Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 19,445 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to buy a reasonably priced condo unit in Hillcrest Park, having been renters for all of our lives we're eager to own our own place and so this low priced unit (it needs work) is very attractive.

We've lived in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow for almost ten years now and have gotten accustomed to the lifestyle here so I will admit that I was a bit taken aback by how rundown some of Peekskill looks. I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything but since I haven't spent any appreciable time there it's the only way I have to access the area.

I've done some research and like the fact that it has a thriving artist community (I'm a freelance artist at the moment) and a small city vibe to it but I'm wondering about the safety of the area. We have an 18 month old, so school will be a concern a few years down the road as well. I managed to do well going through the Yonkers school system in the 80's so I know the test scores are not all they're cracked up to be but if someone can give me a general feel for both the schools and safety of the area it would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
There are plenty of Peekskill residents on this forum, and they can give you more information than I can. From the perspective of someone who lives nearby and who goes to Peekskill often to hang out, I'd say the pros are the art scene; the downtown area with an excellent coffee house, good restaurants, funky shops and galleries; live music venues; an interesting art museum; an amazing riverfront park (and a new one being developed to open this spring); good farmers market; a great arts center with performances and interesting films; a new micro-brewery; and a great housing stock of lovely Victorians and other vintage homes. The down side is that is has a relatively large lower income population and all of the things that come with that. From what I've seen looking at the police blotter, the crime is mostly drug possession, petty larceny, and domestic violence.

Police Blotter | Peekskill Daily

Peekskill BID-Home page

Paramount Center For the Arts -

HVCCA: Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks dma, the things you mentioned are a draw, but then I wonder if it's going to be the kind of place where I'm uncomfortable taking the baby out in the stroller and what the walkability of the neighborhood is like.

Right now we're living in a very family friendly place where I'm always comfortable walking. I'm very hesitant to give that up. My husband thinks I'm being silly but I just don't want to end up in a nice apartment where I'm uncomfortable leaving the house!

I see that most of the crime is DV and drug possession but drug deals come with their own crime issues that might make living in the area unpalatable. We're more than likely going to leave Peekskill by the time our daughter is ready for first grade so the school issue isn't of the highest priority but the safety of the neighborhood is a big issue for me.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
I've been taking my son to Peekskill to hang out in the coffee house, go to parks, and walk around town since he was 2. I've never felt endangered or at all uncomfortable. But we've always been in the downtown area, around Depew Park, and by the waterfront. I've never been to Hillcrest Park, so I couldn't tell you what that area is like. The only way to tell is to go there and walk around and see how it feels.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

It is the best way but unfortunately its hard to get a real feel for a neighborhood during the Winter since there's unlikely to be people hanging out when its cold out. I know its gotten quieter around here since the weather turned I imagine its the same there.

The complex is located at the top of James St. and seems quiet but again that might only be because its too cold for anyone to be out and about.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:42 PM

95 posts, read 431,306 times
I have lived in Peekskill for about 1 1/2 years. I agree with dma1250 that I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in any way, including later at night. However, we live on the opposite side of town near the high school, and we do not have any kids (although we do walk our dogs all over the place), so I can't give specific info on that area. I think we did drive up into that complex on one of our exploratory drives, and it seemed relatively quite even in the summer, but that was a very brief glimpse.

On a broader level, we really like Peekskill and have had no regrets about our decision to move there. My sense is that there may be a little more going on in Tarrytown, but on the otherhand, I feel like Peekskill is growing, even with the economic downturn. In addition to things already mentioned above, there is a nice library, a fabulous used bookstore and several other really nice parks, at least one of which has two pools (regular and kids). There definitely are areas of town that are in need of some TLC (but again, things do generally seem to be on an upswing) and there also is a larger lower income population than you may find in the majority of Westchester, but that also means the town has a greater amount of diversity, which we think of as a positive. Happy to answer any specific questions if I can. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 28,812 times
Default no

Most people who are responding to this don't know Hillcrest.

Do Not Buy Anything In Hillcrest, especially if you don't know Peekskill, or don't want to buy crack, heroin, or other.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 28,812 times
Night time car break-ins reported in Peekskill | Peekskill Daily

Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,407 times
My name is iza , I live here in Peekskill 4 years, we moved from new york city ! we have a nice home here in Peekskill , we have a 6 years old son , my husband and I take the train to the city , it is 55 min ,train is nice but $$ metro north , we love the Hudson river and Pepole are nice here , I wish that we can have more restaurants and shops ! peekskill is a nice town it has a potential , we need new homeowneres who will change this town for better ! we have some realy beautiful homes , victorian and arts and craft homes , the nices part of town now is from the train up to hudson st up to maple st and elm st , Depew park is very nice to live close too , we love to go jogging in the morning , This town needs homeowneres not renters ! who will care about there home , there steet , stores and all the nice things that this town has to offer ! but first we need hope! for better!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,242 times
I have lived in Peekskill for several years, I moved here because of the Artist District. Let me tell you, Peekskill can be great place, if you have a full time job, or bring your own clients. There is NO work around here. The downtown has very few good shops outside of the restaurants. Many 99 cent stores, Ecuadorian Phone stores, Stuffed animal stores, hair and nail shops. Little to no walking street traffic, mostly Hispanic and Black. Parking sucks and tickets are handed out like candy. If you don't pay in 7 days parking will cost you $20. But good shopping on Rt6 and 202 with free parking. If you can afford to go to the Paramount, they have some good shows and if you can afford to eat out you can get some good meals. The art community is mostly hidden and insular. In the summer there is some good free street entertainment usually ill attended because of poor publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County