U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM

71 posts, read 174,394 times

Advertisements

OK, dumb question maybe, but that's what this board is for, right?

How different is winter in Northern Westchester (Croton, to be really specific) than in the city? I'm imagining tons more snow, colder, windier, pain in the neck to get around...you know...even more miserable than what we're used to.

(Geez, I make it sound like I'm asking about Antarctica! HA!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM

374 posts, read 933,414 times
Sounds about right. Although, it is all subjective. For example if you have a very short commute or you can work from home on snow days and you hire someone to shovel the snow in your property, it won't be so bad.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

506 posts, read 1,197,628 times
I strongly suggest having at least one automobile with AWD or 4WD. It's usually not all that different from the city except that you have to drive. A bit more snow but not that much more.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,732,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I strongly suggest having at least one automobile with AWD or 4WD. It's usually not all that different from the city except that you have to drive. A bit more snow but not that much more.
Totally agree. Winter is slightly colder in the Croton area than the city, but not much at all. However, that 3-5 degrees colder can make the difference between sleet and snow, so we definitely get more snow than the city or southern Westchester (which is sometimes a blessing since many areas to the south will get horrible icy conditions when we get fluffy white stuff).

Also agree on the car. You'll see lots of Subaru's, Volvos, and VW Passat's up here, because those are wagons that come with AWD.

All in all, winter up here is a great joy. The roads are very well maintained and driving is usually not a problem at all. Every year there's one or two times were snow hits at rush hour and I curse the heavens, but the rest of the time I adore it.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM

223 posts, read 724,289 times
The "snow line" is 287. North of there you can get a lot more snow with each storm. That being said, there are only a few big storms each year and they do plow the road pretty quickly. But a 4WD is highly recommended. Even with a little snow I had trouble getting up hills in my Honday Accord. I just bought a Subaru Forrester.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 AM

2,478 posts, read 5,733,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl! View Post
I'm imagining tons more snow, colder, windier, pain in the neck to get around...you know...even more miserable than what we're used to.

(Geez, I make it sound like I'm asking about Antarctica! HA!)
Yes, actually it's much worse than that. Temperatures frequently remain below 0 for weeks at a time. Exposed skin freezes instantly on contact with the air resulting in frostbite. Most residents have lost fingers, toes, nose tips and cheek tissue to frostbite. Stockpiling food and fuel is very much the norm since leaving the house in Jan and Feb is life threatening.

Those that do venture out generally need crampons and ice tools. A compas and map are a good idea to manage disorientation during whiteouts. GPS's are useless because the low temperatures cause batteries to fail. An attachment pictures a party of daredevils enjoying a trip to the grocers during a rare winter thaw.

Automobile travel becomes a virtual impossibility for those without tracked vehicles. Cars require block heaters, like in Maine of Minnesota, but even those aren't enough in January when motor oil solidifies into wax.

Croton is especially problematical. The humidity of the Hudson combines with wind to create a thick layer of rime on all surfaces. The house pictured in the second attachment is quite typical. Such conditions persist for about 4 months, though rime can occur at any time between October and May.

In summary, yes, winter life in Northern Westchester is indeed only for a few tough and committed enthusiasts willing to commit the time and training to survive in such an environment. The rewards are the companionship of fellow nature lovers and a winter spectacle you'd otherwise have to travel to Nepal or the Andes to experience. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Winter in N. Westchester-grocery-trip.jpg   Winter in N. Westchester-rime-criusted-house.jpg  

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

71 posts, read 174,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Yes, actually it's much worse than that. Temperatures frequently remain below 0 for weeks at a time. Exposed skin freezes instantly on contact with the air resulting in frostbite. Most residents have lost fingers, toes, nose tips and cheek tissue to frostbite. Stockpiling food and fuel is very much the norm since leaving the house in Jan and Feb is life threatening.

Those that do venture out generally need crampons and ice tools. A compas and map are a good idea to manage disorientation during whiteouts. GPS's are useless because the low temperatures cause batteries to fail. An attachment pictures a party of daredevils enjoying a trip to the grocers during a rare winter thaw.

Automobile travel becomes a virtual impossibility for those without tracked vehicles. Cars require block heaters, like in Maine of Minnesota, but even those aren't enough in January when motor oil solidifies into wax.

Croton is especially problematical. The humidity of the Hudson combines with wind to create a thick layer of rime on all surfaces. The house pictured in the second attachment is quite typical. Such conditions persist for about 4 months, though rime can occur at any time between October and May.

In summary, yes, winter life in Northern Westchester is indeed only for a few tough and committed enthusiasts willing to commit the time and training to survive in such an environment. The rewards are the companionship of fellow nature lovers and a winter spectacle you'd otherwise have to travel to Nepal or the Andes to experience. Good luck!
Thank you SO much. It's so helpful to get advice from someone with real-life experience, otherwise I wouldn't know what to expect up there. I really appreciate your taking the time to lay it all out for me.

You've described it exactly as I imagined it. We figure we'll homeschool the kids so we don't have to leave the house every day, and we'll stock up on canned goods and fill the freezer until spring. Obviously, we'll have to get out at some point, so we did start looking for a husky and sled, but now I wonder if we should get two...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM

826 posts, read 2,112,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post

Ha ha! This is actually how I describe winter at home in Toronto to people who have NO idea and just think that all of Canada is a frozen wasteland. And sometimes people believe me. Sheesh! Don't they know it's only like this in Buffalo???

Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM

792 posts, read 1,007,996 times
The biggest problem with the snow and sleet is going up and down the hills. Northern Westcheser is very hilly unlike the city where it's mostly flat land give or take.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM

715 posts, read 2,255,246 times
Meteorology major here....

Typically much more snow North of I84 and less as you go further South.

Croton will see more snow than NYC, but not by too much...

NYC averages about 23 inches a year, Montgomery NY (on 84) averages about 42 inches a year, and Croton will be right in between those at around 30-35 inches a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or