Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 79,659 times

Advertisements

I am interested in purchasing a home in Yonkers, NY. Can anyone give me some information on good and bad areas? The home isn't to far from Amackassin Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM

121 posts, read 388,072 times
yonkers is an okay area, it's not so safe because there are a lot of home break ins during the day. but over all it's OKAY, not that great of a place to live very boring, some of the places have a lot of drug activity.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM

96 posts, read 251,291 times
I lived in Yonkers for 5 years before moving, though not in that area. That is a little close to the Getty Square area, which can get rough.

Nice areas to live in Yonkers include the following neighborhoods: Beech Hill, Crestwood, Lawrence Park West, Cedar Knolls, Strathmore, Colonial Heights, Lincoln Park.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 18,598 times
I grew up in Yonkers. Not the best place to live IMO. Not too safe and my family has gotten mugged multiple times, at night and even during the day.There is also a good amount of car break ins...

Not sure exactly on the location but it's pretty close to getty square..I'd say stay away from this particular area.. YO doesn't have much to do either.

I myself would not move back to Yonkers.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM

58 posts, read 240,311 times
Yonkers is a very big place, and there are some sweeping generalizations in this thread. The worst part is Getty Square. More generally, from Glenwood Ave South to the Bronx, and from the Saw Mill East to the river, is the higher crime area. Amackassin is not quite in that area, and it's not that close to Getty Square; but it's not super desirable.

Best areas in Yonkers are Lawrence Park West, Cedar Knolls, and Crestwood; there is very little crime in these areas.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:15 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,310,410 times
Well those can also be considered some of the most racist parts of Yonkers as well PresidentJoe. I know all too well I've had the cops called on me for no reason when visiting with friends who lived in those neighborhoods. Despite my experiences in places like Crestwood, Colonial Heights and Lincoln park, there are some really great houses in those areas.

I think the area from the Square going to the Bronx border is more of a good block bad block type thing. Rumsey rd isn't that far from those areas and it is one of the best areas to live within Yonkers if you can afford a house there.

At one point Getty Square was a really bad hood, but thats changing now. You have one small pocket where things have improved but once you leave that bubble things are still a work in progress. That area around Amackassin isn't bad, but like Android mentioned its a bit boring. In a car its not that hard to get to the square from that area, but its not that close. I would say plan on using your car as your main method of transportation if your moving to that area.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM

253 posts, read 809,278 times
stronji,

did you finally find a house in Yonkers? I'm looking in Yonkers as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM

16 posts, read 59,101 times
I live in SE Yonkers and that has no crime. It is working families and is perfect for that. Very Irish, but also diverse. Walkable, great school, walk to train. Pubs, good food. Multi-families, apartments and single-family houses. Mine is a small house. I love it. 100% loan fixed. 2500 all-in including tax and insurance. Great Irish coffee house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County