U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 AM

142 posts, read 343,443 times

Advertisements

I'm so bummed, I want to move out of FL so much! Last night we visited the middle school here my son will go to if we don't move to NY. We loved it so much that my hubs is possibly having second thoughts on moving.

Does anyone happen to know if Westchester or any nearby areas have magnet schools geared toward the arts? My son is an actor and this school was FABULOUS for him, they offer a HUGE variety of electives.

If there aren't magnets, do you know of any schools there with a variety of electives, some being drama, video production, graphic design, etc...? Or would we need to look more toward the city?

Also, if any of you are parents of actors that live in Westchester, let me know what you're doing for schooling (besides homeschool). THANKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

7,243 posts, read 10,883,260 times
I don't know about Westchester but there are a number of magnet middle schools within NYC that are leaning towards the performing arts at the professional level. One such school is the Professional Performing Arts School (PPAS) in Manhattan, which is both a middle and high school.

There are other similar middle schools around NYC. Then for high school, either continue with PPAS or audition for La Guardia or Sinatra. On the private side, there's Elizabeth Irwin. Alternatively, your child can go to any other school and take acting workshops at the Lucy Moses School.

Do more research since the process for finding the right middle school in NYC is research-intensive. You can start with this website and look at others:

Insideschools.org :: Selective middle schools

Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I figured there would be in the city, just wished there would have been in Westchester...
Many thanks for the info, I'll start researching then

Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM

839 posts, read 2,251,098 times
Look into The Masters School in Dobbs Ferry (private). They have a comprehensive arts program, and I have a friend whose daughter is a singer and attends. The school is grades 5-12.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM

506 posts, read 1,241,800 times
I don't think you're going to find a public school like that in the burbs. However, there are tons of programs in many of the schools and outside the schools geared toward the arts. If you can be more specific about what you're looking for it may help.

Unfortunately, private schools like Masters are quite expensive, like 25-30k a year.

BTW, if you son is serious about wanting to pursue acting, then don't you think being in the NYC area would be better than Florida?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Thank you streetsmart, but private isn't an option for us-Sorry, I should've mentioned that.

TDNY-Many thanks to you as well for the reply. Yes, I'm sure there would be programs outside of school (we attended one here for 5 years), but it would be nice to not have to do two seperate things. With homework, audtions and filming it got to be VERY busy going to a seperate class, that's why we love the idea of regular school being aimed toward the arts.

To be more specific as you say, here are a few things the school offers:drama, dance, jazz, chorus, band, musical theatre, journalism, video production, tv broadcasting, creative writing, web page design, and the list goes on.

Yes, my son is serious about acting, and NYC is most defintely a better market than FL. Being close to NYC for his acting is a big part of the reason we chose NY. My husband just got caught up in the school, but he still wants to move. So if in the end we don't find a school like that in NY, that's fine because being close to NYC will be worth it.

Thanks again

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 331,059 times
Mamaroneck high school has the PACE program that focuses on the arts. I don't know if it as intensive as what you are looking for but it might be worth looking into. My cousin is a part of that program and she enjoys it. Also, she and her sister regularly audition and act in plays/musicals at the local community theater, emelin theatre.

You are also about 40 minutes from manhattan which would open up more avenues for him.

SUNY purchase has a strong drama and arts curriculum, as well, maybe there are summer programs for high schoolers.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlover View Post
Mamaroneck high school has the PACE program that focuses on the arts. I don't know if it as intensive as what you are looking for but it might be worth looking into. My cousin is a part of that program and she enjoys it. Also, she and her sister regularly audition and act in plays/musicals at the local community theater, emelin theatre.

You are also about 40 minutes from manhattan which would open up more avenues for him.

SUNY purchase has a strong drama and arts curriculum, as well, maybe there are summer programs for high schoolers.
Hey thank you so much. I took a quick look and saw those are high schools.
I forgot to mention that he'll be entering 6th grade, I'll keep that in mind when high school comes though.

Thank you though, I appreciate it Always good to hear feedback from someone in the area who knows someone in the arts.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Status: "Getting by in the age of corona" (set 25 days ago)

10,539 posts, read 16,917,747 times
Magnet schools are generally an urban/city thing. The suburbs, especially in Westchester, like to think their schools are so top notch they don't need to have "magnet" specialty schools.l

Rogers International School in Stamford, CT (near Westchester) may have something like that (though it's on the elementary and middle school level, not high). You don't have to live in Stamford to go there, though I think you do need to live in Fairfield County.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,909,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
Thank you streetsmart, but private isn't an option for us-Sorry, I should've mentioned that.

TDNY-Many thanks to you as well for the reply. Yes, I'm sure there would be programs outside of school (we attended one here for 5 years), but it would be nice to not have to do two seperate things. With homework, audtions and filming it got to be VERY busy going to a seperate class, that's why we love the idea of regular school being aimed toward the arts.

To be more specific as you say, here are a few things the school offers:drama, dance, jazz, chorus, band, musical theatre, journalism, video production, tv broadcasting, creative writing, web page design, and the list goes on.

Yes, my son is serious about acting, and NYC is most defintely a better market than FL. Being close to NYC for his acting is a big part of the reason we chose NY. My husband just got caught up in the school, but he still wants to move. So if in the end we don't find a school like that in NY, that's fine because being close to NYC will be worth it.

Thanks again
As everyone else said, I don't think any public school in Westchester is specfically geared toward the arts. However I think most schools have a range of extracurricular and after school programs that fit most of what you're after. My local middle school has a list of after-school activities including an actor's workshop, graphic design, glee club, band, orchestra, chorus, and garage band workshop. The school has a library/media center, TV studio, and a technology center. I bet most schools in Westchester have a similar range of offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County