U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,314 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to Chappaqua, Pleasantville or Briarcliff, primarily because we are unhappy with our current school district. How do these three towns compare in terms of schools, town facilities and general social feel? I've heard Chappaqua is snotty, but I've met several seemingly down-to-earth people from the area...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,059 times
All are real good. Can't go wrong.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 AM

142 posts, read 341,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newromom View Post
My family is considering moving to Chappaqua, Pleasantville or Briarcliff, primarily because we are unhappy with our current school district. How do these three towns compare in terms of schools, town facilities and general social feel? I've heard Chappaqua is snotty, but I've met several seemingly down-to-earth people from the area...
Hi, I don't claim to know these areas at all as my family and I are moving to Westchester from FL. However I can tell you from the research I've done on here, we've narrowed it down a lot. We also wanted good schools and the less snobbery the better, we were leaning towards Tarrytown and Pleasantville and the people said the farther north you go the less snotty and great schools gave Pleasantville's schools a much better ranking. Out of the 3 you've mentioned Pleasantville just seems to have better reviews from the people on here, I've been searching this site for a LONG time, good luck

Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

223 posts, read 761,826 times
they are all pretty similar in terms of quality with some differences. Chappaqua will have a bigger school disrict-more than one elementary school and the others don't. Chappaqua and Pleasantville have bigger downtowns. Pleasantville does not have busing. I have heard Chapp is a bit snobby but I cannot vouch for this myself. I think Pleasantville is the most down to earth. I live in Briarcliff and htere is some snobbiness but not too bad. I like it here and its like sending you kid to private school the school is small. Taxes are high though -probably highest of the three although school taxes were actually cut this year.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM

943 posts, read 1,003,805 times
I wouldn't recommend Tarrytown. Large immigrant population and the schools have to gear their services for them. I lived in Mt. Pleasant, Briarcliff schools. Small classes, great personal attention. We just moved after 40 years there. I love Pleasantville, the town is fabulous and the people are nice. They do not provide school busing. Their schools are larger than Briarcliff but good. P'ville is a nice town with lots of stores and restaurants. I spent more time there than in Briarcliff, which is very small. Chappaqua has the largest school system of the three. I think its a 'mixed bag' of snooty and down to earth. Small town.

If you are looking for a 'private school' type environment, Briarcliff is the place although their school taxes are very high.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 33,153 times
I live in Pleasantville. The schools are outstanding (especially the elementary school). There are no buses which means that every gets to know each other picking up their children from school. It's a very homey, close knit community that prides itself in it's schools as well as it's cultural bent (the ten year old Jacob Burns Film Center has energized the town's involvement in the arts. Chappaqua is a lovely town with schools that are probably even better than Pleasantville's - problem is that the taxes are steep and I hear people complain that kids (and their parents) are pretty competitive academically. Briarcliff has very good schools (perhaps on par with Pleasantville).

Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 PM

7,149 posts, read 10,751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
If you are looking for a 'private school' type environment, Briarcliff is the place although their school taxes are very high.
macyny, I'd like to know what you mean by Briarcliff having a more private school environment? Is there a difference on what is taught in class vs. Pleasantville or Chappaqua? Just want to know. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM

201 posts, read 684,986 times
I toured Pleasantville Elementary School and loved it. We are always going back and forth whether to move from CT to Westchester to cut down on my Husbands commute time. I was impressed with their school. I haven't toured Chappaqua or Briarcliff Manor, but found the Principal and Staff well informed and they seem to have an amazing staff. We saw lots of Speech, Physical, and Occupational Therapist and also they had one staff whose job was to figure out how each child learns in case they need a better program or a different program for the individual child. It seemed very current in their beliefs and teaching.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 PM

7,149 posts, read 10,751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A'sMOM View Post
I toured Pleasantville Elementary School and loved it.
Was this an official tour? If so, how did you arrange it? We would like to do a tour as well.

Also, did you ask them to what extent the programs will be adjusted to make up for an expected budget shortfall? I read in some newspaper articles that Pleasantville was planning to remove more than a dozen teachers and increase class sizes, among other measures.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

18 posts, read 68,891 times
I have been hearing great things about the Pleasantville schools too and am really interested in knowing more about the community. We would loke to rent a house/apartment. What would our options be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County