Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Long Island to Westchester (or possibly northeast Fairfield County.) My husband works in Armonk and we have 2 young children (one will be in kindergarten next September.) We are considering the areas of Bedford, Pound Ridge, and Katonah. I am looking for information about these areas regarding the schools, demographics, and recreational activities. Any input would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingfromLI View Post
My family and I are relocating from Long Island to Westchester (or possibly northeast Fairfield County.) My husband works in Armonk and we have 2 young children (one will be in kindergarten next September.) We are considering the areas of Bedford, Pound Ridge, and Katonah. I am looking for information about these areas regarding the schools, demographics, and recreational activities. Any input would be helpful!
That entire region is contiguous and has a lot in common. It's largely "rural," affluent and beautiful. It's pretty much white bread, but tolerant and socially liberal (despite the shocking loss by rep. John Hall to a tea partier). It's not racist, it's classist, basically anybody that can afford to live there will be accepted. Large lot zoning generally puts houses far apart and privacy is prized - minimum lots in Pound Ridge are 2 acres. Much has been posted about the schools, search this forum.

Recreation tends to be outdoorsy stuff and the usual kids teams (soccer, etc). There are a gazillion preserves, reserves, sanctuaries, etc with trails, paths, XC skiing, etc. If you love nature, you'll love it. You'll also learn to love your septic system and well. If the latter is too exotic or frightening forget it.

Culture is pretty laid back and far less showy than southern westchester. The "haves" don't seem compelled to show it and turn up at the store in jeans and a beat up car, something that doesn't happen in southern Westchester.

Pound Ridge Elementary consistently gets high marks and great scores. fox Lane is more complex and contraversial. But if your kid did well going through PRES and didn't get into the college of his/her choice it's not because of the schools. Search the forum for Pound Ridge and Bedford, Fox Lane and John Jay HS and then post specific questions. I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 11-18-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Default Thanks

Thanks! And oops- I meant to say northwest Fairfield County. Also, how about the commute to NYC? (I know it's not the most convenient.)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingfromLI View Post
Thanks! And oops- I meant to say northwest Fairfield County. Also, how about the commute to NYC? (I know it's not the most convenient.)
Lousy commute. Many residents work in Stamford CT (great commute) and central Westchester like White Plains or the Rt 119 exec corridor. There are train stations in Bedford Hills, Mt Kisco and Katonah. Ride to GC is an hour, give or take. Others will have to coment on parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County