Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 221,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyT4 View Post
Regarding ESL population, I don't know firsthand but one problem is that it can be a huge drain on resources. Often ESL students need extra services, at the very least English language help. I've heard this from teachers who work in those districts, but as a taxpayer it's something I would seriously consider.
Interesting- that wouldn´t be something that bothers me- but I'm suspecting it's not the only problem. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,129 times
Re: ESL, these kids aren't moving from Europe and speaking French. They are mostly the kids of newly immigrated (legal or illegal) parents from Mexico and Central America that are very poor, have little education, and speak little to no english. Education is not as much as a focus for these families IN GENERAL than say, recent immigrants from Asia (ducking and covering as I say that, but from what I saw in LA, it just isn't...they need to feed their families today...not 4+ years down the road after college.)

The kids are decent, though...I've never heard of fighting or anything and like I said, some specifically move to houses zoned for that school because they cringe at the thought of sending their kids to a school that is 85% white (however know that Mam. Ave is majority minority or very close to it).

The more affluent the district or school, the better kids generally do. Doesn't mean that a rich kid in a poor school won't do well in all cases, but for me, if I'm going to spend $1M on a house, I would feel better knowing that the students at a school are all getting the same support at home that mine are, as ultimately, the home support is what makes kids go from good to great. After elementary, they are all going to the same schools anyway, though...Larchmont and Mamaroneck.

I will say that the pictures on the websites looked SO much better than in person, though! All the houses are so old here. Only in person did you smell the mold in the basement, see all of the peeling paint that had been re-painted over, etc. We did what you did - narrowed it down (or so we thought) then came out for a few weeks to look.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM

21 posts, read 98,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post
Interesting- that wouldn´t be something that bothers me- but I'm suspecting it's not the only problem. Anyone?
Really? In these times of lean budgets, it wouldn't bother you that your school had to increase class sizes or cut a music program in order to fund extra teachers and other resources for ESL students?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks... somebody had to say it! Although I do think that varies among Latin American communities. Maybe this community specifically is like that- I don't know. Are there any Spanish speakers that are not recent immigrants? Or of European descent. It would be so great if my children could make some friends that were of their background but that shared a common socioeconomic level. I'm losing hope for that in Westchester.

You mentioned Central? What's the demographic there? Another question: are realtors accurate about the school zones posted on their websites? I heard in NYC they're not. Where should I look for that info.?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyT4 View Post
Really? In these times of lean budgets, it wouldn't bother you that your school had to increase class sizes or cut a music program in order to fund extra teachers and other resources for ESL students?

Of course not! I consider their needs as important as mine. If that doesn't suit me than I'll go some place else.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,129 times
Houlihan Lawrence allows you to search by school district. Always search by district here, not post office or town. I do believe that most listings in Westchester are correct, though, unlike NYC.

Central is the village school. Many love it as they walk there and it's close to shops. Murray is for the properties on the non-walkable part of the village, or where we were looking at one point in Roukan Glen (very close to N. New Rochelle). The boundaries for Mam. Ave are all over the place but the hispanics mostly flow in from what we call the very crowded and not upscale area near the train station. Those kids are almost all universally poor (by WCH standards at least). Here is what I will say...in the richer schools, when they need money they ask the parents and the $$ flows. In the less wealthy schools, they struggle more with fundraising, so they do have enrichment classes cut more than in the expensive schools. If they need to cut art for ESL in a school with 50% non-english speaking parents, it's a done deal, but all hell would break loose if you tried that in Scarsdale.

As odd as it may sound, it might actually be better to distance yourself from areas with a lot of hispanics if you don't want your kids to feel marginalized, since they will always be assumed to be from south of the US, not Europe. I had a roomate in CA from Madrid and she HATED being assumed to be Mexican all of the time but it was probably because 70% of CA was from there. Had she been in South Dakota, people may not have made that assumption if that makes any sense.

People do not come to Westchester for diversity, though, they come for the schools. There is a large European population in Larchmont but they are mostly French and British. Either way, though, if you can afford to live here, your children will find friends. Many people here came from the city so they are more worldly than you might expect.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

506 posts, read 1,308,944 times
Quote:
Thanks... somebody had to say it! Although I do think that varies among Latin American communities. Maybe this community specifically is like that- I don't know. Are there any Spanish speakers that are not recent immigrants? Or of European descent. It would be so great if my children could make some friends that were of their background but that shared a common socioeconomic level. I'm losing hope for that in Westchester.

You mentioned Central? What's the demographic there? Another question: are realtors accurate about the school zones posted on their websites? I heard in NYC they're not. Where should I look for that info.?

Yes, I live in Irvington and have several friends who are well educated, well off Americans of Latin American or Spanish background. In my social circle I have two friends who are Columbian, two are Cuban, one is Cuban/Columbian, one is Mexican, one is Salvadoran, and one is Spanish. All of them are married to "non Hispanic" Americans. And, being my friends, they are all very nice people.

Realtors in NY are no longer allowed to directly inform you about a school district, as it's considered "steering." They can direct you to web sites or other information sources, but they aren't supposed to say "this school district is great, but that one isn't, so you don't want to move there."

Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Sadly, that makes sense... and was the direction I was headed in but wanted to get a feel for the scenario anyway. I actually worry less about them being marginalized and more about how they might perceive the hispanics around them. This does not reflect their reality and how that may influence their image of hispanics and themselves might be a challenge that I don't want to take on on a daily basis in addition to such a big transition. So what I understand is that heading toward Central and Murray Avenue is my best bet - at least in Mamaroneck.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Of course not! I consider their needs as important as mine. If that doesn't suit me then I'll go some place else.
Typos bug me! Especially when they're my own!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM

[quote=TDNY;16831754]Yes, I live in Irvington and have several friends who are well educated, well off Americans of Latin American or Spanish background. In my social circle I have two friends who are Columbian, two are Cuban, one is Cuban/Columbian, one is Mexican, one is Salvadoran, and one is Spanish. All of them are married to "non Hispanic" Americans. And, being my friends, they are all very nice people.

Sounds great but I'm looking in Southeastern Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County