Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,129 times

Advertisements

Ooops, I forgot about Chatsworth! That and Murray are ranked 10/10, while Central and Mam. Ave are ranked 7/10. Does it mean that your child will do better at one than the other? Not necessarily if at all. It mainly means that the lesser of the two happen to include the overwhelming majority of the town's renters, though (i.e. less money).

I don't think that the curriculum differs between the schools at all...it's more a function of aesthetics and enrichment offerings. I will tell you though that if you have a kid in K, our district's schedule is all over the place! Half days some days, full others, a few hours on another...it is maddening (and I do not think that we have bussing either...I see kids walking alone on Old White Plains Road all the time without sidewalks and it infuriates me to no end. I wouldn't walk on it myself, let alone a 10 year old.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,308,944 times
[quote=VRV;16832129]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post

Sounds great but I'm looking in Southeastern Westchester.
Oh right because of the nuclear spills in the Hudson!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 221,849 times
[quote=TDNY;16833067]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post

Oh right because of the nuclear spills in the Hudson!
Am I wrong?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:45 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,129 times
Ha. You don't swim in it, nor fish from it, so if they are dumping nuclear material in there, we are all screwed to some extent.

However, I will say from my own research that the River Towns have simply obscene tax bills (even for here!) for often mediocre schools (except for Irvington school-wise).

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

86 posts, read 276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post
... Another question: are realtors accurate about the school zones posted on their websites? I heard in NYC they're not. Where should I look for that info.?
When we were looking for our house we checked the database on Redfin. They seemed to list the correct school district. You'll still want to confirm it - but for the 30 or so homes we looked at, they had it right.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM

58 posts, read 238,826 times
Evidence shows that the most important factor influencing your child's performance is *you*. Po Bronson/Ashley Merryman's Nurture Shock and the Freakonomics books are some accessible books that review some of this research.

People often post extensive, detailed reviews of statistics about various schools, and most of it is bunk. It is doubtful that your child's life chances will be dramatically different at the Mamaroneck or Eastchester SD compared with Bronxville or Scarsdale.

There is one statistic I would consult: the graduation rate. Not because it perfectly sums up the educational experience (a popular presumption in straw man arguments). The graduation rate is a handy summary of the quality of the student culture. If the graduation rate is 70%, that means that 30% of the student body are not going anywhere. If the graduation rate is 99%, you can be confident knowing that, at the very least, the student body almost unanimously plans to attend college. But it is the culture, not the grad rate per se, that really matters.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM

58 posts, read 238,826 times
Mt.Vernon, Yonkers and New Rochelle: not good- not sure why

They have very low graduation rates (New Roch is the best of them; MV is awful). So they have a less college-oriented student culture.

Bronxville: good but very rich, snobby and homogenous

You should be lucky enough for your children to form potentially lifelong relationships with these "snobby" types, many of whom will join America's business elite.

Tuckahoe- good school plus warm and nurturing from a parent who sends her children there- most teachers have Masters pretty diverse and down to earth

Eastchester: mixed reviews
\

Someone has done a remarkable sales job on you re: Tuckahoe. First, that teachers have a master's degree doesn't mean jack about their teaching ability. It just means they had the free time to take some classes and now they're more expensive.

Second, I have no idea why you've been told that Tuckahoe is better than Eastchester. But their grad rates are nearly identical (93 and 94, resp). Your student's chances are prob. the same in both schools either way.

Pelham: seems good Pelham Manor: better

Pelham and Pelham Manor are the same school district, and a pretty good one.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 AM

86 posts, read 276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentJoeMorgan View Post
Evidence shows that the most important factor influencing your child's performance is *you*. Po Bronson/Ashley Merryman's Nurture Shock and the Freakonomics books are some accessible books that review some of this research.

People often post extensive, detailed reviews of statistics about various schools, and most of it is bunk. It is doubtful that your child's life chances will be dramatically different at the Mamaroneck or Eastchester SD compared with Bronxville or Scarsdale.

There is one statistic I would consult: the graduation rate. Not because it perfectly sums up the educational experience (a popular presumption in straw man arguments). The graduation rate is a handy summary of the quality of the student culture. If the graduation rate is 70%, that means that 30% of the student body are not going anywhere. If the graduation rate is 99%, you can be confident knowing that, at the very least, the student body almost unanimously plans to attend college. But it is the culture, not the grad rate per se, that really matters.
I think you make a good point...to a point. When considering their child's education, many parents look at more than just academics. And it appears the OP is one of those conscientious parents.
I do agree that for the most part, when it comes to pure academics and the education our kids will receive, that the difference in Eastchester/Scarsdale/Bronxville/Tuckahoe/Larchmont/Mamaroneck/Pelham/et al are probably pretty evenly matched. It drives me bananas when I see people pointing to test scores of SATs and the like, because we all know that for schools where the majority of children are affluent, the access to tutoring played a role in those scores.
However, there are more factors than just mere academics. Some folks want to take the vibe/local culture into consideration. Personally, I don't want my kids be around a bunch of kids that are in the exact same situation that they are. Ensuring our kids are in a diverse atmosphere and have the opportunity to form relationships with many different walks of life is of major importance to my family. In my view, kids who attend a homogenous school are not benefiting from exposure that will give them a full understanding of the world that awaits them after grade school. Parents also have opinions on larger vs. smaller schools, etc; and to these points, I don't think the comments from the OP were strictly based on academic performance. There are other very valid factors that come into play.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 221,849 times
I did read Nurture Shock- thanks. I actually never mentioned academic performance at all. In the posts you'll see that I am actually more concerned with the social aspect of school. Academics are important - after all it is school, but I, like you, think it won't make much of a difference from one of these districts to another. As far as making pontentially lifelong friendships with America's business elite - I don't really care and if that is the objective for most parents at Bronxville Elementary, then maybe it isn't the place for me. Good to know. That's why I posted in the first place. Although it's true that you lay the groundwork for your child's future, his or her surroundings are a big factor and you obviously don't want to make your job as a parent more difficult constantly struggling against values different than your own.

Thank you for your input on the schools.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,807,587 times
At least when you get to the high school, all Bronxville HS classes are taught at the honors levlel, which is a point of differentiation with regards to academics. In many other suburban high schools, your child has to be recommended by a teacher to get into an honors or AP class which can result in kids getting left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County