Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,431,914 times

Advertisements

Why would Bronxville be teaching all classes at a different level than the others? The average kids have to go to school, too.

But, FYI many AP classes are now on an opt-in basis (at least for Scarsdale and maybe Chap). That means if mommy and daddy want their kid to be in an advanced program, even if they are not, they will be. Not only that, but they are slowly being phased out in many districts because they are very expensive offerings when you consider the small number of kids served by them (and it's not PC to insinuate that some kids aren't gifted). Not my opinion, just an FYI that I wouldn't select a district based on the programs in their HS if your kids won't be there for 10+ years. A lot is quickly changing regarding AP and GATE programs in most districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,784,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Why would Bronxville be teaching all classes at a different level than the others? The average kids have to go to school, too.
The average kids in Bronxville want to get into pretigious golleges. These colleges look at how challenging the subjects you took were. Honestly though, from what I've observed, classes labeled as "honors" using the standard definition are as challenging as regular subjects in good private and magnet schools like Regis, Dominican and Stuy. If Bronxville's classes are all taught at the honors level, then academics-wise it is as good as a decent private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
But, FYI many AP classes are now on an opt-in basis (at least for Scarsdale and maybe Chap). That means if mommy and daddy want their kid to be in an advanced program, even if they are not, they will be. Not only that, but they are slowly being phased out in many districts because they are very expensive offerings when you consider the small number of kids served by them (and it's not PC to insinuate that some kids aren't gifted).
Some AP or honors classes are in higher demand than others. These would be courses like AP Calculus, Physics, History, even Chemistry. Maybe Scarsdale and Chappaqua have enough seats, but in other good school districts like Garden City, many students who wanted to take these standard AP courses could not get in (at least from past complaints that I've read) and schools had to establish a selection process. In such instances, it would really help if all sections were simply made into honors sections, just as Bronxville had done.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
looking to move to a twon in lower westchester that offers a good school district anf down to earth people - not looking for the bxville or larchmont mind set. any advice on good schools and reasonable living areas - looking into irvington, katonah, pleasantville - any advice??
Sue

Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM

506 posts, read 1,306,944 times
Katonah is in northern westchester. I live in Irvington. What would you like to know?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 AM

186 posts, read 485,281 times
Default lived there went there

I may have missed it but I did not see any answers from any poster that lived in Larchmont and went to Mamaroneck schools.

Our family lived in Larchmont, my immediate family 2 different houses, both of which went to Murray Ave school, my cousins lived there as well 3 went to Chatsworth Ave, 2 went to Central, We all went to the Hommacks as the MS and we all went to Mamaroneck HS. And even more important I think is we all attended these schools over a long # of years. We all graduated went to college and are sucessful in our various careers

Over these years he schools have remained excellant

We also lived in 3 different sections, we lived in the Larchmont , but not in the village, my cousins lived in the village of Larchmont , and my other cousins lived in Larchmont Acres A large apartment complex, they are now co-ops

We had friends who lived in what is known as the flats in Mamroneck and friends that lived in houses on the sound either in Larchmont Manor or Orienta Point.

My best friend moved there from London,
Growing up We walked or biked to town we took the bus to New Rochelle,
we went to Harbor Island and Larchmont Shore Club and Manor Beach
It was a great place to grow up the taxes are high, but our families thought it was worth it for all those years.

Hope this helps

Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 AM

7 posts, read 22,794 times
The economic downturn has not affected the real estate market in Larchmont because the town is relatively small. I would not recommend buying a house sight unseen in that price range. Most in that range will be located on busty streets, by the train tracks or 95, or will be in need of extensive work. The market in Scarsdale has taken a more noticeable hit because it is a larger town.

I would also recommend looking into New Rochelle. There are many wonderful programs offered at the elementary level, including a Spanish language immersion Magnet.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Agreed about Larchmont. Houses in need of major renovations are seeing multiple bids, and the tax bills are just too high for what you get. IMO, there are better towns for your money, although I do like the town, don't get me wrong.

I'm actually going to disagree about New Rochelle, though. Although their north elementary schools may be good, and even to a lesser degree their middle school in the north end, the high school is a disaster. Do kids from there go on to Ivy schools? Sure. But they also have to deal with a bunch of unmotivated students with no respect for authority in the process, theft, security guards stationed at bathrooms, etc. It's just not an ideal environment to learn in, and has been getting progressively worse and will continue to do so, from the feedback I have heard from parents in the area.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM

44 posts, read 109,950 times
What about White Plains? Does White Plains HS have the kind of problems that some have cited regarding New Rochelle HS. White Plains seems like a good value. Solid middle class, reasonable tax, with a decent school system. White Plains also boasts some kind of national award in recognition of its school system. (Blue Ribbon Award? for what it is worth). Also well equipped facilities and all the AP and program offerings as the top schools in the area.

So why isn't White Plains talked about much when people talk about good, or at least decent schools? Why?.... because of the 30% African American and 30% Latin American population?

I know that test scores are low on the average due to the immigrant population, but how are the schools for a student who would've done well in other districts? Are they held back or hampered in anyway due to the somewhat significant population of students who may not be meeting or passing the standards?

I would be interested in hearing from parents who have students in the White Plains district.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM

354 posts, read 767,600 times
I myself am a graduate of the White Plains school system, and now I have a son who will be entering kindergarten in White Plains next year. You are right that White Plains offers incredible value in Westchester, and you are also right that people don't talk about it because of the Latin American and African American populations. People have a general perception that a good school means a mostly-white school. Yes, the test scores are higher in those other schools, but that is because of the homogenous nature of the population that attend. White Plains is a city and has a diverse ethnic and socio-economic population - so you are going to get children of all levels. This has and effect on the test scores which is why I don't rely solely on test scores when judging the schools. I think a bright child, with a family who is supportive of their education can do just as well in WP as any of the other "best" schools.

I admit I was concerned that the schools "weren't good" after moving back here. Since then my son has been in the public pre-k program which he is very happy with it. Also, before choosing the kindergarten, we went on tours of all the elementary schools and I was very impressed with what I saw. I am no longer concerned.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

With all due respect, I know many people that graduated from New Ro High 20+ years ago that you couldn't pay to send their kids to now.

I'd be interested to see if you still feel the same way in 10+ years. Honestly, I really hope that you do. It's just that especially as the kids get older, the difference in motivation, ability and parenting becomes incredibly apparent. Motivated kids can and do graduate from there and go on to decent colleges. But it's not without it's hidden costs. It's sad, I'll agree, that unless you live in an expensive district nowadays, that your kids have to deal with a bunch of crap that they shouldn't have to. Not so much in elementary, but more so in middle and definitely in high.

IMO, there are better districts out there for families with moderate incomes like Eastchester, Rye Neck and Tuckahoe, but that's based on my own family's priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County