Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

44 posts, read 110,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
With all due respect, I know many people that graduated from New Ro High 20+ years ago that you couldn't pay to send their kids to now.

I'd be interested to see if you still feel the same way in 10+ years. Honestly, I really hope that you do. It's just that especially as the kids get older, the difference in motivation, ability and parenting becomes incredibly apparent. Motivated kids can and do graduate from there and go on to decent colleges. But it's not without it's hidden costs. It's sad, I'll agree, that unless you live in an expensive district nowadays, that your kids have to deal with a bunch of crap that they shouldn't have to. Not so much in elementary, but more so in middle and definitely in high.

IMO, there are better districts out there for families with moderate incomes like Eastchester, Rye Neck and Tuckahoe, but that's based on my own family's priorities.
I'm not sure which post you were responding to but hominamad and I were discussing White Plains.

Hominamad, how familiar are you with the middle and high schools in White Plains? I'm not so concerned about the elementary schools. But I wonder what the social/academic dynamics are once you enter middle and high school levels when children/teenagers start to form self identity.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. I mean, as long as the districts offers all the programs that other top districts do and there isn't any kind of bullying or obstacles from other non-motivated/under-performing population, what do I care? I mean, is there anything like that in middle and high schools? A kid that is going somewhere will seek out these programs (AP, sports, clubs, etc) and make friends with other kids with similar interests. As long as they can go to school safely and enjoy their experiences I agree White Plains is a great value.

Last edited by mrmiyagi; 04-01-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM

73 posts, read 159,338 times
Does anyone know which school districts offer school tours? I know Eastchester doesn't.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,597 times
To clarify, yes I was talking about White Plains. I mentioned New Ro because in many ways, the districts are very equal and face identical problems. And yes, as is the case with all schools in a larger more diverse city, there are certainly more issues with underperforming kids and bullying. If you've decided that a certain degree of that doesn't bother you or your kids, great.

But I've personally never heard anything really positive about the schools there, for what it's worth. If you look at the stats by schools, you will see that a significant number of the whites leave by middle and certainly by high school. That's generally not a great sign.

Perhaps someone with kids currently in the middle or high schools will have different experiences to share, but someone's experience 20 years ago, or their experience solely based at the elementary level, does not paint a complete picture. JMHO...you can search the board for other opinions too.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM

354 posts, read 769,584 times
I agree with jjinla that my own experiences from 15-20 years ago can't be applied now, but there are several high school kids living on my block who I've spoken to and they all love it there. The teachers are great, and these kids are heavily involved in all kinds of extracurricular activities. One is heavily involved in sports and the other in the drama program. I haven't done any kind of official study, but I have actually never met a single person with kids there in the last 5 years or so, who had bad things to say about White Plains High School. Everyone I've met loves it there.

jjinla - can you provide links to the stats that show whites leaving by high school? I haven't seen anything like this before. When I went to school, more kids were coming from various private schools INTO White Plains HS because their private schools didn't even go up to those grades.

Edited to add: I just want to clarify - I'm not trying to claim that WPHS is a better HS than a Scarsdale, or Chappaqua, etc - I'm just saying that a) I think a motivated child with a supportive family can get an excellent education there, and b) the extra money in home prices and taxes you have to pay to live in those other towns, is not proportional to how much better the schools are there. Hence my statement that WP is the best value to be had in Westchester. Amazing commute to NYC, diverse population, tons of restaurants, nightlife, wide variety of housing stock and neighborhoods, and GOOD schools.

In any case, for myself, and probably many others, this may be a moot point - because I couldn't afford to live in Chappaqua or Briarcliff or Scarsdale or Larchmont - so its not like I had a choice. I guess its lucky for me that I wouldn't want to live there anyway.

Last edited by hominamad; 04-01-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM

jjinla, Do you know anyone in either NR or WP or are you basing your opinions on perception? In anycase, I do appreciate your responses. I would also be interested in seeing those stats you mentioned, but from what I can see on one of those school info sites, the percentages seem to pretty much stay the same among whites, latin americans, and african americans starting from lower grades and going up to the high school... about a 30/40/20 split (w/la/aa).

What is encouraging are the test stats I see on this same site for WP. It shows the averages increasing by the time the students reach the high school level. Could that mean that those immigrant population students that were not meeting the standards in the lower grades because they had just arrived in the US are now performing up to and exceeding the standards by the time they've been in the country for 5 to 8 years when they reach the high school levels? Being a non native English speaker, I know that's about how long it takes for young children to master the language and the academics after they move here, depending on their age at the time of the move.

Hominamad, Have you seen or heard about the kind of bullying and non productive environment in WP middle or high school that jjinla is referring to? In the end, I think the kind of diversity that WP has is great as long as that doesn't cause significant tension and non productive environment.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM

354 posts, read 769,584 times
Miyagi - I haven't heard anything about bullying, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have no idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if the bullying was worse in the rich schools. I think it's impossible to measure, but like I said before, all the kids in the HS I've spoken to all love it there - so that says something. If you're comfortable doing this, I recommend going to some kind of HS event - a game, show, etc and just talking to random parents and kids. That is the really the best way to form an opinion IMO - definitely better than analyzing stats.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM

258 posts, read 903,630 times
I am very surprised that people feel that White Plains was better 15 years ago than today. I think White Plains is getting more upscale. Buying in WP is probably a pretty good investment. The area is getting nicer and nicer with more restaurants and shopping.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Miyagi - I haven't heard anything about bullying, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have no idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if the bullying was worse in the rich schools. I think it's impossible to measure, but like I said before, all the kids in the HS I've spoken to all love it there - so that says something. If you're comfortable doing this, I recommend going to some kind of HS event - a game, show, etc and just talking to random parents and kids. That is the really the best way to form an opinion IMO - definitely better than analyzing stats.
I do agree with your earlier comment that WP is a good value. For people in the middle like us, it doesn't make sense to try to squeeze into one of these top rated districts and pay 30% to 40% more for housing and property tax. I do plan on doing what you suggested.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,162 times
Default Help

Would like to know about schools and life in Larchmont N.Y.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 221,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popham View Post
Does anyone know which school districts offer school tours? I know Eastchester doesn't.
Some schools are tougher than others.
Chappaqua is easy.
Pelham depends on who you talk to. The higher up you go, the better. I got into all of them
Eastchester you can see just not Anne Hutchinson.
Pleasantville easy.
Larchmont not bad.
Tuckahoe no problem.

My recommendation: Pick a house in the district that is for sale and if they ask say you are in the process of buying it. It's not completely untrue and it will get you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County