Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,444 times

Advertisements

Port Chester is probably one of the more affordable places to buy property - Though the Real Estate Taxes are high (maybe not as high as other places, but high).

I do not know the quality of the elementary schools, but much depends on what a student and active parents get out of education in a school....

There are plenty of houses on the market in Port Chester...It's a buyers market...

And there are some really nice areas there, within walking distance of downtown...

It is true that much of the town in hispanic - But, I have to say that the shop owners and restaurant owners (many being Latin and South Americans) keep a nice down town - Not as ritzy (and snobby) as Rye and Greenwich (which it borders), but more like a well kept international flavor of NYC...

I've got to add an after-thought - Someone did mention that the hispanic population is high in Port Chester. It is...But, so what?.. They are really nice people there...I lived there for years, and there was a high hispanic population there for at least the last 10 - 15 years, and they were always nice, polite people. The only gripe that people have is the fact that many of the single family homes are occupied with multiple, young hispanic families, and this has driven up the school taxes...And that is a political issue that is significant...

It's a nice place...I lived there for a few years, and I would move back there...Even the location and proximity for commuting makes it an attractive place...Easy commute to NYC, Stamford (with a bit of rush hour traffic if you are driving)....

Last edited by migee; 10-12-2007 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 48,115 times
I think you're getting a lot of good advice, except for the suggestions of White Plains and Port Chester. Both places have much to recommend them, but if you want to put your children in public school, I'd skip both of them. I think there's one good elementary school in Port Chester, but that's relative to the other PC schools. I don't know how they compare to the best elementary schools in other towns. Even if it's good, you won't want to be there for middle school and high school. As for White Plains, we considered that briefly recently. I'm friendly with a woman whose son was in kindergarten last year at what is supposed to be WP's best public elementary school. She told me that pretty much everyone she knew at that school was either putting their kid in private school or moving. They just bought in Rye. In both cases (PC and WP) you have districts with significant numbers of poor families for whom English is a second language. Although from what I can tell, these districts do a commendable job with this population, these are not districts full of the children of college and graduate school educated parents who expect the same for their kids.

If it matters, I'm pretty sure Larchmont has a good sized French community.

Don't move to Queens. The commute to Stamford will be brutal.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,577 times
Default try elmsford

I'm sure that no one else will back me up on this, but I would take a look at Elmsford. I grew up there and still visit quite often. The schools are under-rated; there is a terrific town park with low cost swimming pool in the summer; more ethnic diversity than most other westchester towns and low housing costs (relative to the rest of westchester). Check out the Orchard Hill neighborhood, which is full of nice people, great to walk and bike into the center of town, a short bus ride to white plains or Tarrytown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadira View Post
We are considering a move from Paris, France, to Westchester (or maybe Queens). The husband's job will be in Stamford, Conn., whereas I will have to commute to NYC.

Could people here recommend towns that meet the following criteria:

- short (30-35 minutes) train commute to NYC

- walkable community, with a mix of urban feel, public transport and yet some green space. I'd like to bike or walk to the train station and the main street.

- some ethnic diversity and cosmopolitan feel

- relatively good elementary school (don't worry too much about this one, we can do our own research once we know which towns meet the above criteria!)

THANKS a million!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,368 times
Northern Mt. Vernon. Hunts Woods section.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 51,878 times
If you want "ethnically diverse" (what the hell does that mean?), move to Ghetto, I mean Getty, Square in South Yonkers or the South Side of Mt. Vermin, I mean Vernon.

I'm just wondering if there is something wrong w/living in a white area or does everything today really need to be PC? I ask this bc I find people such as yourself to be so full of it. You want to live w/non-whites but I guarantee when you see what you get, you will be freaking out.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 107,992 times
Default grow up

One of my Indian friends kids spent one hour in the shower as he was scrubbing his skin to look white. Kids had made mean comments to him. Parents just want their kids to fit in. That's why people want to live in a diverse area so that when they go and get a bagel the whole shop does not stop and stare at them like they are freaks from a different planet...
Maybe when you are more mature you might realize this.
Grow up BXgirl!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 AM

506 posts, read 2,279,724 times
Default price range and size of house

If you give us a little more info. on how much you a looking to spend, and how big of a house you are looking for as well as an other pertinent info we will be able to help you further..........Cheers Pete.........p.s. the reason their are a lot of French speaking people in Larchmont is they have a private French School in Larchmont........

Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,611 times
What about Tarrytown? Walkable downtown area - lots of antique shops and restaurants, short train ride to NYC, ethnic diversity. There are some very nice houses in Tarrytown,not sure about the schools though. Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Honestly, as a white guy living in the Bronx, the staring happens to me a lot of times when I leave my white neighborhood. The stares are always unnerving, and sometimes threatening but I'm used to it at this point.

So I definitely think I know where BXgirl is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosser View Post
One of my Indian friends kids spent one hour in the shower as he was scrubbing his skin to look white. Kids had made mean comments to him. Parents just want their kids to fit in. That's why people want to live in a diverse area so that when they go and get a bagel the whole shop does not stop and stare at them like they are freaks from a different planet...
Maybe when you are more mature you might realize this.
Grow up BXgirl!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
I honestly didn't know that there was a French school in Larchmont.

I know that there are both a Japanese and a German school in the White Plains area and that's why you can find a lot of both Germans and Japanese in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
If you give us a little more info. on how much you a looking to spend, and how big of a house you are looking for as well as an other pertinent info we will be able to help you further..........Cheers Pete.........p.s. the reason their are a lot of French speaking people in Larchmont is they have a private French School in Larchmont........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County