U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 AM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 208,991 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bug everyone again but I think I have a decent list on public schools to check out- just need confirmation/additional opinions or insight. I have two children ages 2 and 4 and a half.

Larchmont- has 4 -Murray Avenue and Chatsworth are the best in Mamaroneck
Pelham - has four Siwanoy I think is good. I don't know about the rest but I've been told they are all good.
Tuckahoe- has 1 William E Cottle very good
Eastchester- has 1 Anne Hutchinson which is rated as good but I haven't had any personal recommendations.

Bronxville may be a more exclusive atmosphere than I'm willing to try to navigate and Scarsdale too competitive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,758,708 times
Kids are still very young. I looked at the curricula of different Westchester schools before and there isn't that big of a difference between the ones you mentioned above up to 6th grade so your young children wouldn't be any better/worse off wherever they go.

At the 7th grade, Bronxville offers honors math and science.

At the high school level, all of Bronxville's subjects are taught at the honors level. In Scarsdale, according to another poster in this forum, honors and/or AP classes are available to everyone at their option (you may want to double check this first).

Another thing you would like to study is how the landscape would look like in the future, not just how it looks like today. Last year through next year will probably be a defining period in suburban public school education as the reality of heavy budget cuts gradually set in. For example, some districts are looking to increase class sizes to 27 students.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM

255 posts, read 408,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post
Sorry to bug everyone again but I think I have a decent list on public schools to check out- just need confirmation/additional opinions or insight. I have two children ages 2 and 4 and a half.

Larchmont- has 4 -Murray Avenue and Chatsworth are the best in Mamaroneck
Pelham - has four Siwanoy I think is good. I don't know about the rest but I've been told they are all good.
Tuckahoe- has 1 William E Cottle very good
Eastchester- has 1 Anne Hutchinson which is rated as good but I haven't had any personal recommendations.

Bronxville may be a more exclusive atmosphere than I'm willing to try to navigate and Scarsdale too competitive.
Eastchester has 3 elementary schools
Waverly K-1
Greenvale 2-5
Anne Hutch 2-5

Waverly and Greenvale are excellent, I have 1 boy in each. Greenvale won the blue ribbon of excellence award for 2009 (take that scarsdale LOL)

I can't speak for the Middle or High school yet but no one around here has any complaints.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:16 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,128,461 times
Are you saying that Anne Hutchinson isn't good, or just that you don't know since your kids go to Greenvale?

I still don't get why Eastchester is always treated like a 2nd tier district. Perhaps because it's so close to Scarsdale? I love the idea of having a seperate school for the little ones.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 PM

258 posts, read 846,982 times
I know a few people who have children in Ann Hutchinson and love it. Both of the people I know can afford to live anywhere in Westchester but love Eastchester. I think the schools are really good. I know they are a very good district for special needs as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 28,814 times
My older daughter is at Anne Hutch and our experience thus far (only 3 months) has been excellent. Great teachers, great communication from the school, lots of events etc etc. My younger one won't be at Waverly til next year but all my neighbours say it's great too.

Not that there's any choice lol.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,128,461 times
All good to know, thanks. Ideally we would be able to find a house closer to Scarsdale's station for the commute, but zoned for Eastchester schools. I find most of Scarsdale itself pretty annoying!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM

255 posts, read 408,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Are you saying that Anne Hutchinson isn't good, or just that you don't know since your kids go to Greenvale?

I still don't get why Eastchester is always treated like a 2nd tier district. Perhaps because it's so close to Scarsdale? I love the idea of having a seperate school for the little ones.
I didn't mean to say that Anne Hutch wasn't good, I just don't know anyone with kids there.
And yes, Waverly is wonderful for the little ones. Separate buses, and sooooo nurturing. It's a great entry into "real school", all the kids love it.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 AM

10,406 posts, read 16,719,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
It's because people nitpick here about schools more than anywhere else in the US (making the housing prices just as insane). In almost any other area a place like Eastchester would be the best school district in that area. Heck, even the nicer neighborhoods of New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon at least on the elementary school level would look pretty high elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,758,708 times
VRV, one other thing you might want to consider is that Andrew Cuomo recently said that he will push for a cap on property taxes. Considering where school spending levels are at this time, a cap will almost certainly result in significant school budget cuts in the years to come. Cuts are not bad per se and there is obviously room within the school system to trim down. The question in what specific items will be cut, and that could vary by school district. Cuts could very well be in items that you consider to be crucial to your kids (ex. sports, foreign language, class size, etc.). Just something to consider before investing in a community. The schools that you think you like today may not be the same in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County