U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 29,813 times

Advertisements

so i've been researching areas in westchester and keep coming back to rye as a potential place to live based on schools, commutes, etc. but i'm confused about the different areas of rye. what is the difference between rye, rye city, rye town, and rye brook??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,592,527 times
With a little help from Google and Wikipedia

Rye is a city in Westchester County.

The City of Rye is a separate municipality from the Town of Rye which is larger than the city.

The City of Rye, formerly the Village of Rye, was part of the Town of Rye until 1942, when it received its charter as a city, the most recent to be issued in New York, and seceded from the Town of Rye.

Rye is a town in Westchester County.

It is a separate municipality from the City of Rye.

The Town of Rye (often referred to as "Rye Town") contains two villages (Port Chester and Rye Brook) and part of a third village (Mamaroneck). These villages comprise the entire area of the Town of Rye.

Rye Brook is a village in the Town of Rye.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of New York.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

chipgirl, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of New York as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 29,813 times
wow, this is complicated! what about rye neck? i hear that term often as well. and thanks for the official explanation but i guess i'm looking more for anecdotal descriptions about the different towns.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM

58 posts, read 208,311 times
Rye Neck is a school district. It basically consists of the portion of Mamaroneck that is part of the Town of Rye. So, roughly from Mamaroneck Ave north and east up to the borders of Harrison and Rye. Rye Neck is a small, but highly regarded school district.

Rye Brook is in the Blind Brook school district. North of Port Chester, it is quiet (except for the airplanes), somewhat rural, and highly regarded. But it is not within walking distance of the train line.

Rye City is the most expensive, most highly regarded of the three.

You really can't go wrong in either school district. Rye Neck is probably the most convenient and least expensive.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgirl View Post
what about rye neck?
Neck means peninsula, so that Rye Neck would be the Rye peninsula.

Mamaroneck is a village partly in the Town of Rye and partly in the Town of Mamaroneck, and the part of the Village of Mamaroneck that is in the Town of Rye is Rye Neck.

And, according to Wikipedia, "The Rye Neck Union Free School District contains the Rye Neck portion of the Village of Mamaroneck, and part of the City of Rye." However, in a separate paragraph, Wikipedia later states, " ... the ... Rye Neck Union Free School District ... includes the Village of Mamaroneck and part of the Town of Rye."

Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

10,490 posts, read 10,941,183 times
I'll bet every division within Rye includes a different tax, especially for the schools....

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 PM

1,488 posts, read 3,948,470 times
It depends on your budget and working needs, to be honest. If you need to commute daily via Metro North, Rye Brook doesn't have a station so you have to go all the way to Port Chester - a very busy area, where you won't get resident parking privileges. In Rye, unless you are close to the Harrison station or can walk, you are equally out of luck as the station has a 10 year wait for parking.

Rye Neck is a school district, not an area. I mean, it is technically, but I live in Mamaroneck and it really isn't. They use the adjoining towns' facilities and lack an identity. People in the cheaper part say they live in Mamaroneck since that is what is closest to them, and people in the nicer areas like Shore Acres say they live in Rye, from what I've found.

Personally, money being no object, I'd pick Rye City over the others just because it's prettier and has a great mid-sized school system. But it's at a premium. Rye Neck schools are too small for my taste, and Rye Brook is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but you can get a lot more for your money there because of that.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM

105 posts, read 289,862 times
chipgirl, thank you for posting this question, as we are also looking into these areas re: schools. Can someone clarify about which school one of these areas (City of Rye, Rye Brook, Rye Neck) had issues with bankruptcy? And has it resolved itself? Have concerns how those financial terms will affect public education in the affected districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County