Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times

Advertisements

OK, so with so much back and forth about how terrible everyone is in Rye, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Pelham, Larchmont, etc. is, I have to ask...where the heck do yuppies with courteous non-spoiled brat kids live in lower Westchester that find the River Town's TOO laid back (and with obscene tax bills)?

Mamaroneck? Harrison?

I truly don't believe that a whole town is good or bad, but I have certainly found that you are going to have a higher proportion of jerks in towns with a lot of name recognition.

Is there a certain area that attracts less emmigrants from NYC in favor of corporate transfers in lower Westchester with great schools...or do they tend to cluster in the central county and above since commuting isn't an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
OK, so with so much back and forth about how terrible everyone is in Rye, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Pelham, Larchmont, etc. is, I have to ask...where the heck do yuppies with courteous non-spoiled brat kids live in lower Westchester that find the River Town's TOO laid back (and with obscene tax bills)?

Mamaroneck? Harrison?

I truly don't believe that a whole town is good or bad, but I have certainly found that you are going to have a higher proportion of jerks in towns with a lot of name recognition.

Is there a certain area that attracts less emmigrants from NYC in favor of corporate transfers in lower Westchester with great schools...or do they tend to cluster in the central county and above since commuting isn't an issue?
Everywhere attracts the NYC emmigrants, it's just a fact of geography. Farther norht this is less true because more poeple work in other employment centers (White Plains, Stamford, Rt 119 corridor, etc).

Anyway, normal people live in all the places you mention. In fact MOST of the people in these places are just great. It's just that there are enough of the brats to stimulate a lot of discussion. And it's rarely the people living a given town that complain about it, they think it's terrific. It's more like non-B'villians complaining about how racist B'ville is or somebody in Larchmont castigating Scarsdale for the over the top Bat Mitzvah circus.

Larchmont and Rye are both wonderful communities, on the water (important for me and the Hudson doesn't count) with plenty of down to earth people. If I needed to live in southern westchester I'd live in either in a heartbeat.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 AM

354 posts, read 776,015 times
White Plains.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I agree with kletter1mann, if I were looking to be in Lower Westchester, I'd look to the Sound Shore communities. In particular, Rye Neck and Larchmont are where I would focus; however, if you need the train, Larchmont. Most of Rye is a nice area, and I would only hesitate because of the parking situation at the train station, as it is extremely limited parking. Compounding this, the wait list that is years long, though some drive to Port Chester to catch the train, or have someone in the household drop them off at the station, because of this problem.

Harrison is a somewhat of an economically diverse town, from middle-class housing development style houses, to those in the eight-digit price range. As such, it is more relaxed than those areas where people move for the "name." Purchase would be a consideration, but Harrison tends to be a driving town, not one where you can stroll to the local town center, go to the theatre, eat dinner, catch the train, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Is there a huge difference between Larchmont and Mamaroneck? They all feed into the same schools, and although I know MM has some dicey areas, we really wouldn't be too close to them. Or is it unavoidable?

Rye Brook is too far out there (might as well push to CT at that point) and Rye Neck had a little more economic diversity than we wanted.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
Mamaroneck has similar "economic diversity" as Rye Neck. Larchmont and Mamaroneck feed into the same high school. But apart from the high school, Larchmont is far more upscale than Mamaroneck. Larchmont is very much yacht-club, while Mamaroneck is a bit more historically working class. I wouldn't define Mamaroneck as having many "dicey" areas, but it certainly has some less wealthy areas.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Mamaroneck has similar "economic diversity" as Rye Neck. Larchmont and Mamaroneck feed into the same high school. But apart from the high school, Larchmont is far more upscale than Mamaroneck. Larchmont is very much yacht-club, while Mamaroneck is a bit more historically working class. I wouldn't define Mamaroneck as having many "dicey" areas, but it certainly has some less wealthy areas.
All true. Mamaroneck ain't chopped liver, as they say. If it weren't sandwiched between Larchmont and Rye - 2 of the most affluent and upscale suburbs in the country - it would fare very very well indeed. The diciest it gets is some working class, blue collar neighborhoods with an abundance of hispanic laborers, not slums or gangs or anything like that.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
White Plains.
I agree.

The Yuppie invasion around parts of Mamaroneck ave has been pretty intense/surreal the last couple of years.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:26 AM

354 posts, read 776,015 times
The taxes in Larchmont, Rye and Harrison are all ridiculous. Don't know about Mammaroneck. But White Plains has some of the lowest taxes in Westchester, walkable downtown, 35 minute trains to GCT which run every 5 min at rush hour. The other towns mentioned are great, but I just couldn't justify paying that much in taxes.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Rye and Harrison have some of the lowest taxes in Lower Westchester (still obscene for the rest of the country but a steal compared to Edgemont and the River Towns). If we didn't have kids we would consider White Plains but we'd happily pay an additional $5-10K a year to send our kids to a better school.

We've dealt with sub-standard public schools for the past 2 years in LA and will not ever do it again. Besides, I think that you have to pay an additional 1% income tax in White Plains...which starts eating up the savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County