U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 AM

51 posts, read 374,635 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am considering moving to the Bedford area of westchester, NY and would like to know as must information as possible about the area. What is the culture like in bedford? What is the difference between Bedford and Bedford Hills exactly? (And which of the two is more favorable as a residence?) I read somewhere that there is a Womens Correctional facility located within Bedford Hills...is Bedford a dangerous place to live (inmate excapes...)? Please let me know all that you can. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM

Anyone have any info?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,817,724 times
We have a country home here - only about an hour from Manhattan by train, but it's NOT cheap. Homes have a minimum acreage lot size. And expect to fork over a couple of million dollars for a home, unless you're right by the train station where there are smaller lots (and homes). Nice towns, but pricey. We've been there forever, otherwise we couldn't afford it now.

NO problem with the Women's Correctional facility. VERY safe area.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM

What is the minimum acreage lot size, and why does it exist? What is the difference between Bedford and the Bedford Hills area?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 PM

I'm not sure about the minimum lot size - I think it's at LEAST one acre. Most houses in the area have larger lots of land. The difference between the two is that they're two different villages.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Which is nicer/more favorable among residents? Is there much to do in the town(s) for recreation? What about access to food/shopping areas etc...

Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM

You need a car up there. Many people have horses....that's the big thing there.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 PM

103 posts, read 416,255 times
The town of Bedford incorporates hamlets of Katonah, Bedford Village and Bedford Hills.
Bedford Hills is where the government of the town is, as well as the train station and businesses around it (read - more traffic and noise). As you travel further away from the train station, you will see a lot of horse farms and secluded estates.
The real estate prices are cheaper in Bedford Hills as houses and lots they are sitting on are smaller (1/4 - 1/2 acre) comparind to the rest of Bedford. You can find decent houses in Bedford Hills in $500s, while in Bedford and Katonah that will be pretty impossible.
Violent crime is non-existent up here. And yes, you will need a car to move around.
Hope this helps. Here are some useful website to check out for more information:
The Town of Bedford New York / About Our Town
Getting To Know magazines: Bedford & Beyond Archives (http://www.gtkmagazines.com/archives/bedford_beyond/ - broken link)

Good luck!
Natasha

Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Default thx

thank you both for the information and links. how does bedford compare to other great westchester neighborhood such as scarsdale? what about against the infamous greenwich, ct?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 11,359 times
I grew up in Stamford, near Greenwich, CT. The one major difference I think you'll see between Greenwich and some of the upscale Westchester towns is that your Real Estate taxes will be much lower. I believe that all of the towns you mention will give you the same feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County