Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,180 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am new to this forum and for those of you who live or have lived in New Rochelle, I would like to get some info...I recently moved here from Queens and I am within walking distance of the Metro-North, so the commute into Manhattan to work everyday is no problem. While I like it up here, however, I have found virtually NO place to shop...I walked down Main Street the other day and saw nothing but a bunch of crappy stores selling (what I call) junk. The only decent store I saw around here was CVS but the rest of of them, I don't know how they are staying in business.

The restaurants around here are okay, but since I cook a lot, I really don't utilize them. Do I have to go all the way to White Plains or to the Bronx to find some decent department stores?? For an area that is supposed to be under going a revitalization, it's still pretty barren around here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,278,399 times
Hi Anna,

You're right, it's barren of department stores and probably always will be. NR tried once with the NR Mall, where New Roc is today, and it didn't work. White Plains has all the fun shopping with all the major department stores in the area. Stamford Town Center is a nice mall in downtown Stamford.

Ikea tried to build a store in NR near the Larchmont border, but all the Larchmont lawyers ganged up and pushed Ikea out of the area.

I suspect NR would eventually like to attract the Gaps and Ann Taylors, but downtown NR may always be a bit too urban for these stores.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 24,391 times
Well, theres a jc penny and an old navy in the bronx so why not one day in new rochelle? but thats not for a while, til then just go to white plains or even mount vernon which has that shopping center with tj max and dsw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County