U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM

123 posts, read 546,442 times

Advertisements

What do you think of Thornwood/Hawthorne area? I know the Mount Pleasant school district is not as highly regarded as Pleasantville school. Can people give some experiences of the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
You probably have not heard much about the schools- very rarely do I see people discuss a school district on this forum other than Pleasantville in the Mount Pleasant area. The district has two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. Unlike P-ville, the schools in this area provide busing. All are in Thornwood with the exception of one elementary school in Hawthorne. Although they are technically in different P.O.'s, everything in this central area of Mount Pleasant is within a 1-2 mile radius. Students in this region reside in the hamlets of Hawthorne, Thornwood, a section of Valhalla by the reservoir (and adjacent to the High School), and unincorporated sections of Pleasantville.

I can tell you from my positive experiences with the schools that the district is excellent and offers much more than neighboring towns. Many students and parents are very involved with the district and add to its overall atmosphere. People are generally very friendly in this area (as in all areas of Mount Pleasant). It is very rare to ever see any of the problems that occur within neighboring districts (such as a 'pressure-cooker' atmosphere or snobby students/parents) because this area is so down to earth.

If you are not familiar with the area, it is very safe, quiet, and convenient. Thornwood offers many shopping options at it's two shopping centers. Living in Thornwood also means that you are as close to Pleasantville village as most P-ville residents. Hawthorne also has a very small, but quaint downtown that is recently undergoing many improvements. And transport is great as well since the town is situated on the Harlem metro-north line and has entrances to all of the major parkways in the central Westchester region.

I would recommend visiting Westlake Middle/High School's campus on Westlake Drive in Thornwood and seeing it for yourself. You will be impressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County