Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,993 times

Advertisements

It depends how you define walkable.
Ossining is kind of walkable.
Metro North, Bee-Line Route 14 are accessible.
You can try Kemeys Cove and surrouding complxes(houses).
In Ossining, some complexes have cummuter's shuttle to the train station. Route 13 and 14 are routing around the town.
Briarcliff Manor and Mount Kisco are nicer, they both have nice small town center...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 96,224 times
weschester is imposible without a car because we dont have trians which come every 10 mins or buses that come every5. i remeber times where i spent almost an hour wait for a bus. althjough we have dry cleanrs bodagas and 99cent stores its not like the bnronx or manhattan cars make more sense in weshcester becuase we dont have manhattan parking rates

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 AM

305 posts, read 1,894,800 times
Bronxville is very walkable but pricey. There are coop apartments that are near the Bronville village that aren't as expensive b/c they are in the Yonkers School district. I would consider living there as Bronxville is a quaint little town with and it has a train station which will get you to NYC for 30 min.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 25,042 times
Default cold spring nice small town

A little farther up but very nice and very walkable small town is Cold Spring. Check out coldspringliving.com. The commute may be beyond what you are looking for though (1hr 10min on train) but it makes up for this in its sleepy feel and location in the midst of a bunch of state parks and hiking trails.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 530,247 times
Smile Try Hartsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The 'boroughs' are part of NYC. You can navigate those without a car.

You absolutely need a car in Westchester, unless you're in White Plains, but even then, a car would make shopping and doing errands a WHOLE lot easier.

Very true. And I'll add the following; White Plains or areas that run up and down Central Avenue. Then taking the bus becomes a good deal easier because its frequent. I grew up near Hartsdale and I'll suggest apartments near the "four corners," which is an intersection of Central Ave. One of the streets is East Hartsdale Ave, and the Metro North station for Hartsdale is there. This is a Harlem Line train that brings you into Grand Central in about 1/2 an hour or 40 minutes. Hartsdale is relatively safe as well.

I've lived in the more remote areas of the county. The last place I lived had a bus stop one block away and it was like waiting for a stage coach to show up on some old Western. It took FOREVER. Once an hour southbound, once an hour northbound. And it took 90 mins. to commute to White Plains from where I was and its only 23 miles. This is because of all the stops a local bus makes. Its also important to realize that trains in Westchester don't run across, they just run down. So, you have to rely on the bus to go from town to town and this involves transfers, standing around, etc. I once had job ten miles from my apartment and when my transmission blew it took me an hour to get to work on the bus.

Here's a website that will give you bus schedules so you can get an idea:

Transportation

That being said you're still best off in Westchester if you have a car, though the times when I didn't I was still able to get around.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
White Plains might be best. ;/

Granted, if you're not downtown, you are rather .. screwed. Everything .. important .. is located withing 15 minutes of walking time downtown. You have the taxis, main bus stop andd, even the MTA all in a cluster. It's ideal.

However, anywhere else in westchester is .. car-needed. :x

Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

101 posts, read 461,823 times
I know quite a few people who live in Bronxville who do not drive, as well as in Larchmont. As long as you work in the city, everything is walkable- dry cleaners, restaurants, food shopping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County