Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM

124 posts, read 702,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
In terms of the academic program and classroom instruction, what was your personal observation about the Armonk schools? Is it any better than what's offered in other Westchester public schools? Are their subjects more challenging, especially in the elementary level?
I really don't think the program is any different from other top Westchester school district. Armonk used to have some Intel science program that made it stand out but later many other school district all offerred it as well(I heard). My son was in the lower elementary grade and compared to Ardsley, both schools have advanced reading programs that he participated in. (although when I visited Chappaqua school, they told me they did not have any of that, which is surprising). But both programs group kids of the same level together for in class excercises. My son benefitted from the writers work-shop from both schools (very similar) but both math programs are too easy for him. His current teacher in Ardsley actually could give him some challenging assignment that fits better his level. I believe if we were still in Armonk, the teacher would probably do the same thing for him or similar kids. But overall, he seemed very bored during the year in Armonk, and I think it's more due to his specific teacher. Both schools cut their TAs in lower grade due to budget issues (probably the same across all the schools thanks for the strong teachers' union here in NY. wish we could move to Fairfield). So you can imagine the little kids classes are just becoming more chaotic than ever. Armonk elementary schools size has grown a lot recently years and there were 8-9 classes in lower grades, which we don't like as it will further strain the limited resources.

Socially, he did much better in Ardsley than in Armonk (not hard to understand). The parents are much wealthier in Armonk (they are so called Scarsdale Wanna-Be) so the high schools kids receive strong support in tutoring from parents to bump up their SAT scores, which we don't think would benefit us by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 04:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
/\/\

Thank you. That is similar to the feedback I've been getting from other parents who moved to Westchester, though not necessarily Armonk.

You mentioned Fairfield. Aside from Greenwich, what other neighborhoods would be recommendable as alternatives to Westchester?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,187 times
The differences in most Westchester schools are tonal, rather than in actual programs. But I am surprised that neither Armonk or Ardsley have advanced math--in our elementary (Yorkown Central) kids are taken out of class for daily advanced math classes (one to two grades up), as well as remedial. I know from talking to other parents that some nearby districts don't have that, but I think Chappaqua does. Other than that it all sounds the same--Yorktown also has the Intell science program, advanced reading groups, level-based instruction, etc., etc. If you have particular needs, you should ask the schools you are considering, but you'll find the offerings at most schools to be very similar.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodinewyork View Post
Thank you for your reply. How is the traffic to White Plains in the morning rush hours? I'll be taking metro north, do you know the parking situation at White Plains station?
from armonk you can use beeline #12 directly to white plains or transfer on westchester ave to 13 for train at portchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County