U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 66,289 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Mt. Pleasant schools? I've checked Greatschools.org, and the elementary schools seem to be rated much higher than the high school. As for the high school (Westlake), while the Regents scores seemed fairly good (except for math...does anyone know why the passing score in 2009 was barely more than the state average?), the most recent comment was from 2009, and the theme of the comments seemed to be that the school was "getting better" (whatever that means). Does anyone know what was wrong with it before, and has it continued to "get better"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 9,414 times
Hi I am trying so hard to find out more regarding you above post. Did you get more information? We are thinking of buying in this area.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,414 times
would love more info on Westlake Middle and High schools in Mount Pleasant, Westchester, New York school district.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 PM

I never did find out more about the school district, but we've decided to house hunt elsewhere for a variety of reasons...

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,481,585 times
I'd advise anyone with kids buying a home to look beyond the elementary school level. A few years at elementary school fly by and you may well not be ready to move, especially with today's flat home prices. Check out the middle school and high school before you take the plunge.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I'd advise anyone with kids buying a home to look beyond the elementary school level. A few years at elementary school fly by and you may well not be ready to move, especially with today's flat home prices. Check out the middle school and high school before you take the plunge.
Ummm...not to be a jerk, but did you read my original post, and the subsequent posts? While I mentioned elementary schools in my first sentence, I was actually more concerned with the high school.

Hi24 also wrote asking specifically about the middle and high school...

For what it's worth, I do think your advice is good, but just not relevant to my original question.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,481,585 times
"Ummm...not to be a jerk, but did you read my original post, and the subsequent posts? While I mentioned elementary schools in my first sentence, I was actually more concerned with the high school."

What's that, the passive-agressive form of being a jerk?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Ummm...not to be a jerk, but did you read my original post, and the subsequent posts? While I mentioned elementary schools in my first sentence, I was actually more concerned with the high school."

What's that, the passive-agressive form of being a jerk?
Sure.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 PM

168 posts, read 498,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGirl View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Mt. Pleasant schools? I've checked Greatschools.org, and the elementary schools seem to be rated much higher than the high school. As for the high school (Westlake), while the Regents scores seemed fairly good (except for math...does anyone know why the passing score in 2009 was barely more than the state average?), the most recent comment was from 2009, and the theme of the comments seemed to be that the school was "getting better" (whatever that means). Does anyone know what was wrong with it before, and has it continued to "get better"?
Ha, my girlfriend grew up in Mt. Pleasant!! I just forwarded this to her and here is her response:

"Hawthorne and Columbus Elementary are fantastic, and the middle school does a good job of transitioning kids for High School. Westlake is a good school, and the numbers would be much higher if the community dynamics were to change. Mt. Pleasant is historically more blue-collar than surrounding neighborhoods with an abundance of white collar wealth. Think managers at ConEd, construction and landscaping businesses, electricians, plumbers, municipality jobs, etc. When I was in high school, I had many friends who had parents that weren't even high school educated (a lot of first and second generation Italian immigrants). For whatever reason, there is not enough emphasis on education in some of these homes. My point is, I think it's more of an issue with the social construction of the town rather than the school.

The benefit to this is that if your family values education, and your child is intelligent, they will, without a doubt, stand out among their peers and can be a big fish in a small pond. This is refreshing in comparison to the competition in districts like Scarsdale or Chappaqua, where there is a TON of pressure an competition.

From what I hear, the town is changing. There has been an influx of younger professionals from the city looking for value in Westchester (the taxes in Mt. Pleasant are a dream compared to other areas!), and the high school is starting to reflect this influx of a more diverse and better educated population.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 AM

258 posts, read 849,119 times
I grew up in the Northeast Bronx in an Irish/Italian neighborhood. The people in my neighborhood were mostly working class such as construction workers, firefighters, cops, Verizon workers, etc. Most people from my neighborhood move to Mahopac and Rockland but if If they moved to Westchester, they primarily move to Yorktown and Thornwood (sometimes Somers). If they are more financially successful, they move to Harrison or Eastchester.

They tend to be less educated and have less of a push for education. I am not being critical but working class people are not going to push the way Chappaqua and Scarsdale parents will push their kids. They also don't have the means to pay for SAT preps and lots of outside tutoring. It seems the towns that attract a successful blue collar worker or a two working parent home have somewhat lower test scores that the other towns in their surrounding area. In my opinion, it doesn't mean the school is worse, just the demographics different.

If a child of a wealthy lawyer is struggling, he would have the means and understanding of how to get that child help. The man who owns his own drywall business might not have the means or doesn't realize the opportunities out there for help. Also, if mom and dad are working to make ends meet, they don't have the time to run around getting several tutors. I have family in Larchmont who pay for three tutors to help their daughter who is struggling in school. It doesn't make Chatsworth a better school that her test scores are good because her parents can pay for all of this outside help. That is what happens in wealthier more white collar districts. You might want to surround yourself with kids whose parents push education more and that is fine but it doesn't necessarily mean that the school itself is any better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County