U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM

314 posts, read 687,917 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been on the LI board long enough to know that property/school taxes here are out of control. However, doing a quick glance at the taxes in Westchester leads me to believe that they're about as bad. So what I want to know is, are the taxes on LI higher (compared to Westchester), is there more waste on LI, or do Long Islanders just complain about it more? (My gut tells me that "D. All of the above" is going to be the likely answer....)

Does anyone know what the Westchester taxes cover? It seems like they get more land up there, so maybe that accounts for the similar taxes - more bang for the buck?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

506 posts, read 1,258,211 times
Westchester county has the highest property taxes in the U.S. However, the median income is higher in Westchester so the tax amount is a bit less as a % of income than in LI.

They are way too high in both places, though, it's like two obese people arguing who has a bigger butt.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,848,603 times
When we were house hunting - we looked on Long Island and in Westchester County. I only looked in a few select areas in each place - so I can only comment on the comparison between the specific areas that I was looking at. In my experience - the taxes on Long Island were higher compared to the price of the house than the taxes in Westchester. We eventually bought a house in Westchester for about 80K more than the houses that we looked at on Long island - and our taxes are the same or a little less than most of the houses that we looked at on Long Island. But like I said - I confined our search to a few select areas so I really can't comment on Long Island or Westchester as a whole.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,513,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When we were house hunting - we looked on Long Island and in Westchester County. I only looked in a few select areas in each place - so I can only comment on the comparison between the specific areas that I was looking at. In my experience - the taxes on Long Island were higher compared to the price of the house than the taxes in Westchester. We eventually bought a house in Westchester for about 80K more than the houses that we looked at on Long island - and our taxes are the same or a little less than most of the houses that we looked at on Long Island. But like I said - I confined our search to a few select areas so I really can't comment on Long Island or Westchester as a whole.
This thread is on the LI forum and most Long Islanders believe because of the status of the Island they pay higher taxes. Your brief comparison seems to confirm this.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 AM

506 posts, read 1,258,211 times
Well, I was right about the taxes, but apparently the median income in Nassau is higher, but the median home value is higher in Westchester.

Here:

Full List: Where Americans Pay Most In Property Taxes - Forbes.com

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Well, I was right about the taxes, but apparently the median income in Nassau is higher, but the median home value is higher in Westchester.

Here:

Full List: Where Americans Pay Most In Property Taxes - Forbes.com
I was going to post that. Most towns in Nassau have higher median incomes than comparable towns in Westchester. It's always been that way. Nassau is very wealthy.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM

314 posts, read 687,917 times
Thanks for the feedback. In looking at both Forums (LI and Westchester) on this site, it seems that the LI folk complain about taxes more than the Westchester folks. The theory that makes the most sense to me is that there's a greater middle class on LI that gets affected more by tax increases.

Link to LI Thread - Long Island taxes vs. Westchester taxes

So while Westchester taxes may be a bit higher on the whole, there's more extreme wealth and poorness there.

Thoughts?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
Thanks for the feedback. In looking at both Forums (LI and Westchester) on this site, it seems that the LI folk complain about taxes more than the Westchester folks. The theory that makes the most sense to me is that there's a greater middle class on LI that gets affected more by tax increases.

Link to LI Thread - Long Island taxes vs. Westchester taxes

So while Westchester taxes may be a bit higher on the whole, there's more extreme wealth and poorness there.

Thoughts?
I would just like to chime in then I'll leave it to the Westchester posters. Long Island isn't more middle class. Westchester just leans more towards an upper middle class where Long Island leans towards a lower middle class. Long Island towns are much more homogenous than Westchester towns. Rarely do you see places like Mount Vernon, Peekskill, New Rochelle or Ossining on Long Island. Such towns would be abandoned by certain demographics or be crossed off as "bad areas" if they were located on Long Island. Finally, we like to complain about everything. It's in our DNA. LOL! Now take it away Westchester.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 4,236,914 times
"Finally, we like to complain about everything. It's in our DNA. LOL! Now take it away Westchester."

LOL...I acually have noticed that. At least you are owning up to it! Every time I check out the LI board, 3/4 of the threads are just dedicated to complaining. Rent, taxes, traffic, home prices, schools, people from Queens, etc.!

And BTW, what makes you think we DON'T cross off bad places? We're just too nice to admit it.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"Finally, we like to complain about everything. It's in our DNA. LOL! Now take it away Westchester."

LOL...I acually have noticed that. At least you are owning up to it! Every time I check out the LI board, 3/4 of the threads are just dedicated to complaining. Rent, taxes, traffic, home prices, schools, people from Queens, etc.!

And BTW, what makes you think we DON'T cross off bad places? We're just too nice to admit it.
LOL! You know us too well. It comes from liviing on a sand barge with only one way out. If the place sinks, the Queens element has blocked our only means of escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County