U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 19,698 times

Advertisements

I recently started looking in the Scarsdale/Edgemont area. Any recommendations? Trying to keep in the ~800-900K range. I'm also looking for large lot(1/3 acre or more) for my kids to run around. I'm interested in the Scarsdale/Edgemont schools. I see that some of the properties in Scarsdale are zoned to either New Rochelle or Eastchester. Are these good schools? Also, the property tax seems pretty high, but i figure that we save on not having to pay the city tax, it isn't that bad...

My wife and I would need to commute to Manhattan for work. How is the commute? Anyone know if Edgemont can get a permit for Scarsdale MTR station?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,106,027 times
You won't get a permit for the Scarsdale station since Edgemont is in the city of Greenburgh. There is a commuter bus and I believe some private lots, though.

New Rochelle is not a great district and they are about to get a slew of cuts. Eastchester is good, and Edgemont and Scarsdale are supposedly better, but a lot of that is because the parents are wealthy and put a ton of pressure on the kids.

For 1/3 acre, you will need to be on a busy street to get under $900K in either district if they aren't zoned for Eastchester or New Rochelle schools.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM

thanks for your reply... i saw the form for the parking permit for scarsdale, there is a checkbox for non-resident... Freightway is the parking lot for the MTR?

http://www.scarsdale.com/LinkClick.a...bid=65&mid=686

Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 AM

jjinla,

I see you are from mamaroneck. How is the school system there and how is the that town? We were originally looking on the hudson side, i.e. Hastings, but found the hills to be a big turn off. Is mamaroneck mostly flat? We saw some houses that are half on stilts. the back yard drops, don't know how your kids can play on a steep slope. also i found that they didn't have any sidewalks... have to walk in the streets which i found kind of odd coming from nyc.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM

We moved here from LA last year and are renting right now. I also don't like the non-walkability of Mamaroneck, but if you want land you can get it here if you don't mind a $30K+ tax bill for an $850K house. Personally, I far prefer Larchmont but you will never get any land there in your range. I do also love Orienta, but you can't touch a fixer there for under $1M. The schools are very good, though, and we would stay here if we found a place we loved.

If you really want land, though, would you consider Chappaqua? It's about 20 minutes more on the train, but to be honest, if you are in Edgemont, getting down the hill and over to the private lot which is a bit far is going to add an extra 20 minutes to your day anyway, so if you lived close to a station up there your commute might be similar. Howver, you won't find it walkable at all.

You can also get more land in Harrison, but it doesn't have a village feel at all.

I don't know specifics of the parking at Scarsdale besides what our realtor has told us and what our friends in Edgemont tell us.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 17,385 times
Not sure what you mean about land....White Plains has homes in Prospect Park, just a little north of Scarsdale with more land, less tax...but different school system...most people move to Scarsdale because it has high rated school system....there are a lot of real estate agents in Scarsdale...go out with one and take a tour...there is one near where I live in Heathcote / Scarsdale in the old ambulance corp building you cant miss it...says real estate on it... good luck

Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 67,935 times
I am buying a coop in the Scarsdale Country Estates on Central Avenue in Edgemont. My son has a house in Edgemont. My children are raised, so I am not buying for the school system. Does anyone know the complex and can anyone give advice?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,746 times
Default edgemont schools transportation

Hi, My wife and kids are looking to move to westchester and really like the homes and neighborhoods we have seen in edgemont. We are both working parents and understand edgemont has not busing. How do other families in edgemont overcome this issue? Is carpooling or private busing common? Any insights/information regarding this would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,368,617 times
"I also don't like the non-walkability of Mamaroneck'?

This statement is bewildering. The train station is right at the top of Main street. Most of the town is within a 12 min walk of main street, where all the restaurants, bakeries, and stores are. The park on the harbor is right at the bottom of main street. For a Westchester town it is definitely walkable - one of the reasons being that the more central area is based on the old town set up and has some winding streets, a smaller blocks rather than the larger planned-for-cars suburban blocks.
Eddiemoy - there are two school districts in Mamaroneck, the Mamaroneck Union system, which is shared with part of Larchmont, and the Rye Neck school system, the boundary being determined by being on the Mamaroneck or Rye side of the Mamaroneck river, respectively.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM

To clarify, we were in the area near Winged Foot, which is truly in the middle of nowhere. Living in the village in Larchmont is totally different than living in the village of Mamaroneck - many places near Main Street in MMK are in flood zones.

Don't get me wrong, I like MMK, but just strongly prefer Larchmont - it's much smaller and has a more village-y feel. You can't walk anywhere without seeing people that you know (good or bad depending on your personality!). MMK also attracts a lot of outsiders, Larchmont doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County