U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM

2,527 posts, read 6,182,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Having grown up in Bedford and having a lot of friends from Pound Ridge, it always seemed that everyone in PR went to New Canaan or Stamford to "do" anything that involved shopping or restaurants or movies, etc... Everything in that area is a 15-25 minute drive somewhere.

For a weekend place where you want a lot of peace and quiet, it's fine, but it's more upscale suburb than "country."
Fully agree (though add Mt Kisco for those on the Bedford Village side of town).

BUT.... when viewed through the eyes of Manhattanite it can easily look like "country" because the real country is something so remote that they've never experienced it and so desolate that they'd never want to. Hence the cheese and wine shop rivaling anything anywhere, for example. You don't find that in Woodsville NH.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM

17,926 posts, read 21,312,530 times
I was once in Tarrytown, dining at a popular pub, when I overheard someone at a nearby table say, "So, what do you think of Tarrytown?" the reply from the Manhattanite (OK, I'm stereotyping, but they were from somewhere in NYC) was "Oh, It's wonderful. I love getting away to the country!"

Westchester is by no means Midtown, but is it really 'the country', to anybody? Maybe it was all the trees along the parkway on the drive up.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,886,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I was once in Tarrytown, dining at a popular pub, when I overheard someone at a nearby table say, "So, what do you think of Tarrytown?" the reply from the Manhattanite (OK, I'm stereotyping, but they were from somewhere in NYC) was "Oh, It's wonderful. I love getting away to the country!"

Westchester is by no means Midtown, but is it really 'the country', to anybody? Maybe it was all the trees along the parkway on the drive up.
Its all relative. Quite a few of the houses on my road are second homes owned by city folk. As a born and bred Brooklynite, northern Westchester feels very country-ish... That said, I've been to the country and I realize that this ain't it. Even faux country places like Milbrook are more rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County