Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times

Advertisements

OK, so we've looked in vain for months at what our money will buy us in Larchmont, Scarsdale, even Rye in the under $1M range. We are disgusted, even after the drop, and maybe we are unrealistic having not grown up in this area, but the thought of paying that much for a nearly 100 year old house with barely any updates is too much.

We know our money can get a lot more in Eastchester, but the problem is that a ton of people, including our realtor, act like we are nuts for even considering it. They say, "you won't fit in there," "you are too WASP-y," "you are settling," "it's too middle class", "it's too Italian"...etc.

What the heck? Are people around here just that stuck up, or am I really going to be miserable feeling like I have the Sopranos living next to me?! We are looking in very nice areas...all well-manicured lawns, either in Scarsdale PO or next to CA Ridge. We ARE WASP-y, that's true, but still laid-back Californians at heart. I stay home and my husband is a white collor senior executive. We do well, but not Wall Street well. Would we not be comfortable there?

I know you should always buy in the nicest neighborhood you can afford, but we're not talking about getting a mansion in Yonkers...just a nice home in Eastchester vs. a tiny fixer in Scarsdale.

Feel free to PM me as well. And please know that I'm not trying to insult anyone that lives there at all. I'm actually on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
OK, so we've looked in vain for months at what our money will buy us in Larchmont, Scarsdale, even Rye in the under $1M range. We are disgusted, even after the drop, and maybe we are unrealistic having not grown up in this area, but the thought of paying that much for a nearly 100 year old house with barely any updates is too much.

We know our money can get a lot more in Eastchester, but the problem is that a ton of people, including our realtor, act like we are nuts for even considering it. They say, "you won't fit in there," "you are too WASP-y," "you are settling," "it's too middle class", "it's too Italian"...etc.

What the heck? Are people around here just that stuck up, or am I really going to be miserable feeling like I have the Sopranos living next to me?! We are looking in very nice areas...all well-manicured lawns, either in Scarsdale PO or next to CA Ridge. We ARE WASP-y, that's true, but still laid-back Californians at heart. I stay home and my husband is a white collor senior executive. We do well, but not Wall Street well. Would we not be comfortable there?

I know you should always buy in the nicest neighborhood you can afford, but we're not talking about getting a mansion in Yonkers...just a nice home in Eastchester vs. a tiny fixer in Scarsdale.

Feel free to PM me as well. And please know that I'm not trying to insult anyone that lives there at all. I'm actually on your side.
I live in Eastchester. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Eastchester is probably 70% Italian and Irish. So what? I do not have a drop of Irish or Italian blood in me and everything here is just fine. You will be accepted by all. Nobody cares that you're not Catholic, believe me.

Yes, there is a small percentage of Tony Soprano types. They are funny. And they maintain their properties.

Lake Isle Country Club is a great amenity.

This year's graduating class from Eastchester HS is getting admitted into amazing colleges. If your kids are bright and work hard, they can get into just about any college from Eastchester (and from most school districts). There is a myth out there that the Scarsdale's, Rye's and Chappaqua's are the only ticket to the Ivy's. Probably propagated by the Scarsdale, Chappaqua and Rye realtors!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Good to know, thanks. FWIW, I actually prefer Eastchester schools over Scarsdale. My kids are young - Ivy's are the furthest thing from my mind. I want a more nurturing environement than competitive. At least now...we'll see if I sell out eventually and get roped in to the Ivy mindset.

Now if only we can find the house!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
The pressure level is much lower here. There are kids who work like dogs, but it is usually self-imposed. I know last year's valedictorian got into Harvard.

The problem with the "top" school districts (Scarsdale, Bronxville, etc.) is that parents choose those districts because they are the "best," so they all expect their kids to get into the "best" colleges.

But if you look at the colleges attended by the bottom half of the Scarsdale and Bronxville classes, they are far from the "top" institutions. Why? Well just because parents have super-high IQ's and incredible work ethics, does not necessarily mean their kids will.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM

269 posts, read 480,522 times
We are in Eastchester and I will say that while it is not perfect, (and what town is) we absolutely love the schools. I have a 1st and 4th grader and could not be happier. Wonderful nurturing environment.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM

60 posts, read 227,254 times
Another Eastchester mom here. I was raised Catholic but married an Episcopalian and we're all Episcopalian WASPS now. We go to church in Bronxville so we have a window into there too.

Eastchester IS a very Catholic town but it's very accepting of people of different faiths IMO. And it's changing because people like you, and me are moving in because we don't want the cost and the pressure of Scarsdale or Bronxville.

The schools are very strong - my son is dyslexic and the program they have in Eastchester is fantastic for kids with LD. My daughter breezes through school and she gets lots of challenges so from both ends the school is very solid. And the kids do go Ivy if they are motivated that way.

There is still some of what my neighbors describe as 'working class with money' but I do think that's changing. It's definitely upper middle class but not with the crazy money of Scarsdale or Bronxville.

Right now, there are not many ivy league educated parents in town. My husband and I went to two of the top liberal arts school and we're definitely exceptions. We see that difference in our Bronxville friends vs our Eastchester friends. That said, we have plenty of friends in town who are bright and well educated and very interesting to have over for a dinner party.

It is a very good relative value compared to the towns you've looked in.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,580 times
I am of East Indian decent and my children are mixed with middle eastern . Would I feel comfortable in Eastchester ? Are there Indians and middle easterners in the area?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Here's what the US Census Bureau says about Eastchester:
Eastchester town, Westchester County, New York - QT-P13. Ancestry:**2000
Summary: 19.8% of resident claim Irish ancestry and 34.6% claim Italian. 14.9% claim English or German.

Contrast with Rye City:
Rye city, New York - QT-P13. Ancestry:**2000
Summary: 20.6% Irish, 18.1% Italian, 26% English+German+Nordic.

Rather different profiles, I'd say. It's safe to say that this is consistent with respective stereotypes of Eastchester and Rye - they aren't wrong.

For those who are wondering, nearby Bronxville is 35.6% English+German+Scottish+Nordic. And 26.5% Irish. Only 14.5% Italian, lowest of all. IOW, Eastchester and Bronxville are mirror images.

Make of this what you will. All the qualitative remarks should be considered in this context.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Now I'm on a roll.

Here's Scarsdale Village: Engl+Germ+Nord = 18.1%
Irish = 10%, Italian=9.8%!! Russian=11.8%
And Chappaqua: Engl+Germ+Nord=20.3%. Irish 14.3%, Italian 14%. Russian=13%. Russian is miniscule in Rye and B'ville. Hmmm, Scarsdale and Chappaqua seem to have more in common with each other than any of the other towns.

Scarsdale, B'ville and Chappaqua are all "high pressure" school districts. Is there are correlation or anti-correlation between pressure and ancestry? I'd say so, but the conclusion isn't PC so readers need to do the math themselves. Regardless, I guess it's pretty obvious that if you consider yourself WASPy and care about that stuff then Eastchester probably isn't your cup of tea.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM

FWIW, we are actually landing in Larchmont after the most excruciating year of house-hunting (assuming our mortgage closes of course.). It was always our first choice, and somehow the planets aligned in our favor...so far (knock on wood.)

However, the funniest, un-PC, and yet not 100% untrue descriptions of Westchester towns I've ever come across were on Urban Dictionary, July 25: JFC. For those looking for harder facts, there is always Wikipedia and Westchester Magazine, but they aren't nearly as entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County