U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 10,257 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a position in New York that will require a significant amount of travel out of both airports. We have three youngs sons (9,7,2) and will be relocating from Florida. My wife and I really like Westchester County. I am willing to sacrifice on the drive for a better quality of life and better schools in Westchester County. What can I expect as a typical commute from various cities/towns in Westchester? My wife works from home, so commute is not an issue for her. We know NOTHING about the area, but like what we've read about New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, Pelham, and White Plains. Our combined income is about 150k. We are not interested in buying a home, only renting. Any advice/input is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,982,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk4963ncj View Post
I was recently offered a position in New York that will require a significant amount of travel out of both airports. We have three youngs sons (9,7,2) and will be relocating from Florida. My wife and I really like Westchester County. I am willing to sacrifice on the drive for a better quality of life and better schools in Westchester County. What can I expect as a typical commute from various cities/towns in Westchester? My wife works from home, so commute is not an issue for her. We know NOTHING about the area, but like what we've read about New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, Pelham, and White Plains. Our combined income is about 150k. We are not interested in buying a home, only renting. Any advice/input is much appreciated.
$150k is doable in this area but not wealthy. Far from it.

Commuting to LGA/JFK is totally dependent on the time of the flight. If you are in white plains, (center) I'd say you could make it door to door to LGA in 30 minutes, JFK 45 for an early morning flight. Getting back also depends. One Friday at 6:00 it took me 3 hours -- longer than the flight.

Also, if you are traveling to FL, note that White Plains airport has frequent flights to FL.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,473,531 times
If you are doing LGA take metro-north to 125th then use MTA bus M60 which goes direct to LGA. Otherwise for JFK you will take metro-north to grand central use subway lines 6 to 51st then E to sutuphin blvd JFK use airtrain to head to JFK. This commute is faster than it looks!!!!! avoid the JFK bus at all costs.
Quote:

Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
If you are doing LGA take metro-north to 125th then use MTA bus M60 which goes direct to LGA. Otherwise for JFK you will take metro-north to grand central use subway lines 6 to 51st then E to sutuphin blvd JFK use airtrain to head to JFK. This commute is faster than it looks!!!!! avoid the JFK bus at all costs.
Sure. After flying all day, I am going to take a City Bus, Subway, Train and Pedicab.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,257 times
Yeah, I'm hoping to rely on my own transportation. A lot of my travel will include overnight stays, so I won't be making the drive everyday. Hey pony, which area is more desireable for a family; Westchester or Long Island?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm hoping to rely on my own transportation. A lot of my travel will include overnight stays, so I won't be making the drive everyday. Hey pony, which area is more desireable for a family; Westchester or Long Island?
Westchester.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 AM

147 posts, read 329,845 times
I like Westchester more than LI due to its access to the mainland. However, if I knew I was flying out of LGA/JFK a lot, I would rather deal with the commute from LI. I would look at the nicer areas along the north shore in Nassau and Western Suffolk such as Manhasset, Roslyn, Oyster Bay, and Syosset. Schools, housing, and taxes will be similar between the nice areas of LI and the nice areas of Westchester.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,473,531 times
Quote:
actually the route to LGA I mentioned is the fastest. Due to the train avoiding traffic which will make ur car commute HELL. AVOID THE VAN WYCK AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or