U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 28,828 times

Advertisements

I own a house in Yonkers which has a bad school system. I would love to have my child go to school in Scarsdale since their school system is obviously excellent.

What is the likelihood of me getting caught if I rent an apartment in Scarsdale to get my child in their school system but really still live in Yonkers?

Do good school districts in Westchester like Scarsdale really check to see if you're living in the apartment?

What proof is required to enroll your child in their school system?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,865,776 times
Most diistricts allow non-residents to pay tuition to attend the school. The downside is that the cost is high (usually 15k to 25k per student) and how many, if any, non-residents are allowed changes each year depending on the number of students enrolled at each grade level. So your kid could be able to attend Scarsdale for one year but then not the next.

I'm not sure of the legality of your plan, but ethically it seems fine since your monthly rent would go to pay the school taxes. So you'd be paying for the school even if you weren't living in the apartment.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM

186 posts, read 454,440 times
I think its an expensive way to get your child in a different school system, but if you are renting an apartment in any town you are afforded the right to use all that goes with that .

But for the cost of rent would private school not be more cost effective?

and what about all the other things not having friends in your neighborhood, that go to your school, transportation.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,106,999 times
People really need to understand that Scarsdale scores are a far better reflection of the amount of tutoring and pressure that those kids are getting from their usually immensely wealthy parents, than the actual education itself. Besides the fact that they have shunned Everyday Math for Singapore Math, I saw absolutely no benefit of attending that school over equally good schools in Mamaroneck, Rye, and even Eastchester.

But to answer your question, you need not only a lease but 2 utility bills in your name. Honestly, I'm not sure that this would be cheaper than tuitioning your child into the district (or even Bronxville...wouldn't that be a lot closer?)

Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 28,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
But to answer your question, you need not only a lease but 2 utility bills in your name. Honestly, I'm not sure that this would be cheaper than tuitioning your child into the district (or even Bronxville...wouldn't that be a lot closer?)
Isn't tuition more expense than actual rent? Not to mention, I have twin girls so if I go the tuition route, say tuition per kid is 15K x 2 kids = 30K a year for 2 kids in tuition alone as oppose to renting a small studio in Scarsdale or Bronxville for anywhere between $1,200 - $1,500. Assuming a studio goes for $1,300 a month x 12 = $15,600 a year and I'll have my girls attending Scarsdale's or Bronxville's public school system. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that sound cheaper?

What I really want to know is if the school district goes around knocking at your apartment door to verify if you really live there or not. Thats what I want to know.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM

56 posts, read 141,027 times
Default People talk . . .

They don't go knocking on your door as far as I know, but people talk and people complain. Where I live, a family got into trouble because they were renting (and living) outside the district while they did an extensive remodel on their home (which is in the district and on which they were still paying taxes). Huge hassle.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 21,057 times
A Scarsdale address does not guarantee that an apt is in Scarsdale. There are hardly any apartments in Scarsdale proper.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 13,086 times
Default rent for good schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris2011 View Post
I own a house in Yonkers which has a bad school system. I would love to have my child go to school in Scarsdale since their school system is obviously excellent.

What is the likelihood of me getting caught if I rent an apartment in Scarsdale to get my child in their school system but really still live in Yonkers?

Do good school districts in Westchester like Scarsdale really check to see if you're living in the apartment?

What proof is required to enroll your child in their school system?
Hi,
I know the frustration of living amongst poor school systems. I moved from the Bronx to Eastchester. Best decision I ever made. The registration process is daunting. You must provide a lease or deed, 2 utility bills in your name and a few medical forms have to be filed out each year. They never checked to see if I actually live where I do. I think it can be pulled off. The only problem would be the busing. You or someone would have to drop off and pick up your child. Unless you have someone that lives in the area the child can be placed on that bus.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 AM

100 posts, read 394,290 times
Word to the wise: wealthy Westchester school districts (including Scarsdale) will hire private investigators to follow your kid home if they notice that your kid appears to live out of district. If you drop off and pick up the kid everyday or he says things to his classmates that betray his true home, they will probably get suspicious.

If you are willing to spend a lot of money to rent a dummy apartment , you are probably better off trying to actually go live somewhere with better schools and put the ~$15k X however many years you planned on doing this for towards a home or a rental that you actually plan on living in. Somewhere like Dobbs Ferry or Pelham will still be leaps and bounds above Yonkers, but way more affordable than Scarsdale. Plus, you won't get followed home by private investigators and have your child kicked out of the school system.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,544 times
This happened to me and I DID live in Eastchester. More of a pain in the neck that I had to give 2 working utility bills credit card bills and gas and electric had to show your usage. Its not worth it youll get caught
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County