U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 24,504 times

Advertisements

Urgggg,

I really need some help. We are moving back to the NY area (last time was Ridgefield, CT). Our budget is no more than 1.5 . We have found great homes in all of the top districts.

We are probably most interested in New Rochelle due to the value of your dollar. Frankly, diversity is a good thing for us. While I understand that there are lower income people in New Rochelle (we all started somewhere), the high school looks to offer some great programs.

Being a strong supporter of public schools, and an active parent, are we make a huge mistake by choosing NR over other areas? What I do know is that Scarsdale is not what we are looking for. We really don't like the keeping up with the Joneses stuff that you see there or NJ (like I said, native NYer).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 4,237,593 times
I personally wouldn't send my kids to NR high, but that is only because it's just too big of a school for my comfort level, and there are too many kids there with behavioral and/or discipline problems, lack of motivation, lack of parental support, etc. from what I've heard directly from parents that have yanked their kids out of the school (including a director of a well known preschool in the area). I'm all for diversity to a point, but I do not feel that NR has learned how to successfully manage that many kids in one place. Trust me, we really wanted to love it because Larchmont Woods is so pretty, but I just felt that for what you sacrificed it wasn't worth the savings. You can also get more for your money in places like Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Valhalla with more diversity than Scarsdale.

But to be frank, all of lower Westchester is keeping up with the Jones' to a point. Further north, you'll find people care less about what everyone else is doing and making.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 24,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I personally wouldn't send my kids to NR high, but that is only because it's just too big of a school for my comfort level, and there are too many kids there with behavioral and/or discipline problems, lack of motivation, lack of parental support, etc. from what I've heard directly from parents that have yanked their kids out of the school (including a director of a well known preschool in the area). I'm all for diversity to a point, but I do not feel that NR has learned how to successfully manage that many kids in one place. Trust me, we really wanted to love it because Larchmont Woods is so pretty, but I just felt that for what you sacrificed it wasn't worth the savings. You can also get more for your money in places like Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Valhalla with more diversity than Scarsdale.

But to be frank, all of lower Westchester is keeping up with the Jones' to a point. Further north, you'll find people care less about what everyone else is doing and making.

Problem with northern is the commute. Used to do it from Goldens Bridge and I was pissed everyday.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 4,237,593 times
I get it. It's the only thing keeping us down here. Most people here take the train, though. It's just too easy.

All I will say from what I've seen, though, is almost everyone that I know that lives in a $1.5M home in NR is not sending their kids to the public schools. In some cases, that's why they chose NR, though - because they knew they were going private from the start and figured "why pay for a better district?" Others I know just knew from the beginning that they were only going through the middle school and figured the savings on the house would more than pay for 4 years of Catholic school...and the rest just got fed up with sending their kids to school with metal detectors, security, etc. when they could afford otherwise. IMHO, I just feel like if I make enough to afford a home that much, my kids shouldn't have to deal with that kind of crap on a daily basis, even if it does technically prepare them for the real world.

Would you not consider Larchmont or Mamaroneck. I know, even $1.5M won't get you what would cost less than half as much in the rest of the country, but the schools are great. And there is quite a bit of diversity, but still most kids come from somewhat wealthier households. However, we are nothing like Scarsdale - many of the locals here make fun of it, actually.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM

92 posts, read 346,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigds01 View Post
Problem with northern is the commute. Used to do it from Goldens Bridge and I was pissed everyday.
I take the train from Katonah, one stop closer than Goldens Bridge, and personally I don't think the commute is so bad- except for the cost ($315 a month.. grumble...). I used to live in Hartsdale and even though the train ride was much shorter, I had to deal with traffic along central ave and it was just stressful. Now it is an easy drive to the station with no traffic, and I am able close my eyes or read the paper for an hour... it's relaxing.

And then I come home to a place so completely opposite from the city- where I can see stars in the sky and instead of dodging taxi's and delivery bikes, I'm dodging deer. It's nice to have the best of both worlds.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 PM

64 posts, read 193,559 times
Have you considered Ossining? It very diverse and has some great programming in the high school, too. I know (affluent) people with kids in the high school and they have been very happy with it. I also know people with kids in the younger grades and they are also very happy with it (My child will start pre-K in the fall so I don't have first-hand knowledge yet). And the people are very down to earth. And with your budget you could find a beautiful home.

If you do an online home search, you should do it by district as there are quiet a few homes in Briarcliff Manor that actually have Ossining schools. (Briarcliff schools are excellent, but you'll deal with the "Joneses" thing quite a bit more.)

However, I also think Mamaroneck would be an excellent choice.

Do you need a Metro-North station? If not, Yorktown would offer you great house and a very good school district. Not much in terms of racial diversity, but they aren't all uber rich so very 'normal' people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County