Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our two month old) are looking to buy a house in Westchester for around $400,000 and taxes around $10,000 or less. We have found that limits the areas to look to Northern Westchester. We both work in the city so easy commute is important.

We saw a house in Montrose that we liked but Montrose doesn't seem to have a town center. No grocery store, shops, etc. Where do people shop in this town? Is the school ok? Would it feel very isolated living up there? (We are coming from Queens, but I grew up in Westchester County closer to White Plains). We just aren't sure about the vibe there.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Montrose has a shopping area with an A&P and other shops. That might officially be in Croton, but its closer to Montrose than to Croton village. You're about 5 minutes from Croton village, which has a great gourmet food store, a coffee house, and some restaurants, and you're about 5 minutes from Peekskill, which has great restaurants, coffee house, cafes with live music, a performing arts center, and a cool museum. Montrose is in Cortlandt and uses all of the town facilities (library, pool, etc). The school district is Hendrick Hudson, which has a good reputation.

As for feeling isolated, that's too personal to answer. My wife and I are both born and bred Brooklynites and lived in the city until our mid 30's. We've been living in a farmhouse on 4 acres on a quiet winding road for 10 years now and I think I felt isolated once (during a huge snowstorm when we were trapped inside for a day). We have a great sense of community here, and I love not seeing the neighbors unless I want to! If having privacy makes you feel isolated, then you should stick to one of the villages.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM

64 posts, read 203,775 times
We looked in Montrose when we first searched 5 years ago b/c we also had a limited budget. I personally did feel a little too isolated. Not 'scary', just a pain to run out and grab a carton of milk at 9pm, ya know? So we ended up in Ossining. We really like it here as there are definitely ammenties not too far from houses - no matter what side of town you live on. I think you could find a house/taxes in your budget. The house under 400 would be easy. The taxes will vary depending on property size, but they should be close to that. For instance, we just moved to a bigger house, but we sold our 3BR 2bath in Dec for $352 and the taxes were 9800. (Darn, would have been perfect for you! )

Also, the commute from Ossining is a little closer than from Croton or Cortlandt - and it generally benefits from Croton's express schedule. And the houses in your price range should be only about a 5 minute drive from the train station. So overall a little better commute.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,813 times
Thanks for that info dma, it's helpful. And Kathy that house would have been perfect for us! We were staying away from Ossining because the taxes seem very high, but I will take another look. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times
Check out Mt. Kisco also. We have been looking for houses in your price range and there are quite a few. Just looked at two in Katonah (next door). Mt Kisco is on the Harlem Line and a quick commute to the City. Nice area and more convenient to the highways.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM

38 posts, read 125,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori219 View Post
My husband and I (and our two month old) are looking to buy a house in Westchester for around $400,000 and taxes around $10,000 or less. We have found that limits the areas to look to Northern Westchester. We both work in the city so easy commute is important.

We saw a house in Montrose that we liked but Montrose doesn't seem to have a town center. No grocery store, shops, etc. Where do people shop in this town? Is the school ok? Would it feel very isolated living up there? (We are coming from Queens, but I grew up in Westchester County closer to White Plains). We just aren't sure about the vibe there.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

A & P center,
Shoprite in Croton.. few minutes away.. Cortlandt Town Center Rt. 6 15 minuites.. Close to Trains.. Few minutes to Yorktown ...
Annette

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM

14 posts, read 26,082 times
Default Montrose

We moved to Montrose a year ago from Brooklyn. It was a bit of an adjustment from having a grocery store half a block's walk and 100 restaurants within 15 minutes on foot. But, I would echo dma1250 that the area has enough amenities. We are in between the A+P in Croton and the one in Buchanan. The library is great for the kids. There are plenty of restaurants or, at least, enough. The big box stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Old Navy) at the Cortlandt town center are 15 minutes away. Indian Point looms in the near distance, but it does help to keep taxes lower. And the train ride down the Hudson with the sun setting over the far hills can be a magical way to come home from work in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County