Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 PM

44 posts, read 110,281 times

Advertisements

How feasible or practical would it be to drive to one of the subway stations in the Bronx to commute into Manhattan? Are there parking lots or garages available for this kind of commute? I may be moving to a place that isn't close to a MetroNorth station and will mostly likely need to drive to a station, and once in Grand Central, I have another subway ride to downtown. So, I was thinking, what about driving to one of the outer subway stations and taking the subway in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 AM

92 posts, read 359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiyagi View Post
How feasible or practical would it be to drive to one of the subway stations in the Bronx to commute into Manhattan? Are there parking lots or garages available for this kind of commute? I may be moving to a place that isn't close to a MetroNorth station and will mostly likely need to drive to a station, and once in Grand Central, I have another subway ride to downtown. So, I was thinking, what about driving to one of the outer subway stations and taking the subway in?

One thing to note, the subways once outside of Manhattan are not always very reliable- I used to take the 5 train down to GCT from Pelham Parkway, and it would constantly be delayed to a point that I couldn't time it to be just on time... because of that you will have to leave plenty of buffer time. However, it would probably be doable.... Woodlawn's metro north train has a metro north parking lot that is waitlisted, but if you can get in it, you can park there and walk to a subway... and there may be other stations with lots.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,073 times
If you work downtown, it's often cheaper and easier to live in NJ or even LI. I'd personally chose NJ if the commute made any sense, but for us, it just doesn't.

Not sure about parking in the Bronx but I do know that anytime I drive into the city at an hour with traffic, it's always completely open until you hit the Bronx - then it literally slows to a crawl. It won't be fun, at any rate.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
That would be pretty hard. There aren't any parking lots near any of the subway stations: You'll have to find parking on the street.

There is the possibility of parking at a Metro-North station and then taking a local bus from the station to a subway station (but, of course, it would take longer).

For example, you could park at the Woodlawn station, and then take the Bx16 or Bx31 to White Plains Road for the 2 or 5 trains. Or you could take the Bx16 in the opposite direction and take either the D or 4 trains.

What area of Westchester would you be commuting from? That would help me find the best station for you to drive to.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
NOT PRACTICAL!!!!!!
a beeline uniticket can get u unlimited metronorth and bus unless you plan on living in MT vernon new rochelle or yonkers it is NOT DOABLE. However the #45 goes from new rochelle to 6 train the #42 goes to the 2 train and so does the 25 and the #55 bus gets u to the 5 train. Warning the subway is way slower than metro-north u sure about this. With the 45 you have the added option of BXM7A express bus. By the way metro-cards work on all westchester buses as well. So the 45,42,25,55 and 20 and 4 buses can all work for u from yonkers you have BXM3 or 1 or 2 buses to 1 train buses are all over lower westchester no need to drive to a subway. And they are mostly ON-TIME!!! dont even be a second late unless ur using the 20. now DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THE BXM4C!!!! ITS COSTLIER THAN METRO-NORTH YET HALF THE SPEED!!!! for details click here http://transportation.westchestergov...temMap2010.pdf express buses in bronx are faster than the subway so if u use beeline 8 at final stop u can get BXM1,2 or 18. bee-line 45 gets u the 7A express the 20 and 4 get u express D trains

Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Seems pointless to pay all that dough to live in Westchester then to take the bus and subway each way for 2 1/2 hours.

Better off living in Brooklyn, saving yourself 15-20k a year in taxes and whatnot.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
qjbusmaster has a point (once you can decipher what he is saying)

Near the county line, there are some express bus lines that offer a free transfer to the subway to get to Lower Manhattan.

From Riverdale, you can take the BxM18 directly to Lower Manhattan (or if you are traveling outside of rush hours, you can take the BxM1, BxM2, or BxM3, and then take the subway.

From Woodlawn, you can take the BxM4 and then take the subway.

From Wakefield, you can take the BxM11 and then take the subway.

From Co-Op City, you can take the BxM7, and then take the subway.

Like I said, it may be hard to find parking in some of these areas, but I would imagine that it would be easier to find parking near an express bus line than near a subway line.

The fare on the express bus is $5.50, and you are allowed a free transfer to the subway. (Going back, you swipe your MetroCard, and then the farebox deducts an additional $3.25 when you get on the express bus). There is also a weekly pass available for $50.

See the Bronx Bus map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Another option is to park on the west side and then take the 1 train or the BxM18 from the Riverdale-Kingsbridge area. You can get to it without too much traffic as the Deegan tends to slow just below the exits, either Van Cortlandt South or W230th. There is a lot on Broadway right at Broadway & W230th that's pretty reasonable, and a garage in the building at Exterior & Broadway (across the street from the side entrance of the lot). You could then take the train from W231st, or catch the BxM18 (Lower Manhattan express bus). The BxM1 and BxM2 express buses are also in this area, but they go as far as 34th Street.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm18cur.pdf

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
qjbusmaster has a point (once you can decipher what he is saying)

Near the county line, there are some express bus lines that offer a free transfer to the subway to get to Lower Manhattan.

From Riverdale, you can take the BxM18 directly to Lower Manhattan (or if you are traveling outside of rush hours, you can take the BxM1, BxM2, or BxM3, and then take the subway.

From Woodlawn, you can take the BxM4 and then take the subway.

From Wakefield, you can take the BxM11 and then take the subway.

From Co-Op City, you can take the BxM7, and then take the subway.

Like I said, it may be hard to find parking in some of these areas, but I would imagine that it would be easier to find parking near an express bus line than near a subway line.

The fare on the express bus is $5.50, and you are allowed a free transfer to the subway. (Going back, you swipe your MetroCard, and then the farebox deducts an additional $3.25 when you get on the express bus). There is also a weekly pass available for $50.

See the Bronx Bus map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf
dont forget to mention unlimited weekely express bus card for $50 unlimited everything except metronorth and LIRR. adds up to $200 a month same card works on westchester buses so even driving is unnessesary!!!!! look at my previous link for westchester then look at checkmate's link for bronx O STAY AWAY FROM BXM4!!!!!!!!!! ITS THE SLOWEST OF ALL EXPRESS BUSES!!!!! BXM7 is the fastest but requires beeline 60/61 to conner and boston road around as soon as it hits bronx then use BX30 to BXM7 the 7 is the fastest of the bronx lines. or you can go to eastchester road and transfer to BXM10

Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Sorry, this thread is epic fail.

The reason Westchester is expensive is because there's a great transportation system that takes you into NYC in under an hour; people here are talking about taking 6 buses and the #2 train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County