Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 158,512 times

Advertisements

Westchester's school/address boundary is very confusing. We're looking at a house in Bedford, it has Bedford PO and schools, but in North Castle. Can someone tell me more about that area? Do I have access to Bedford town amenities? Can I get train parking passes anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,121 times
If you are in North castle, you have access to North Castle town amenities. As far as the train, since North White Plains is within North Castle, and is a major stop on metro North, that would be your best bet for the train.

I grew up just over the border from N Castle in Bedford and my school bus did a swing down into N castle to do pick ups.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM

92 posts, read 359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
If you are in North castle, you have access to North Castle town amenities. As far as the train, since North White Plains is within North Castle, and is a major stop on metro North, that would be your best bet for the train.

I grew up just over the border from N Castle in Bedford and my school bus did a swing down into N castle to do pick ups.
I would go to Chappaqua station, not N White Plains... the train from Chappaqua during peak hours will run straight to White Plains and then Harlem and GCT. NWP is often a local train stopping in all of lower Westchester and even the Bronx.

In any rate, I am not sure how it works in North Castle, but, I know that, for example, Katonah is part of town of Bedford but in Katonah-Lewisboro schools, while they have access to Katonah and Bedford Hills train stations. My guess is it would be the same for the OP.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM

My general understanding is that you have access to the town where your school district is because that's where your tax dollars go, but in this case you're saying that my kids go to Bedford schools but use North Castle services? Can someone tell me something about North Castle? It seems really small and doesn't even have its own school district.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
It's similar to Lewisboro, where the school district is shared with Bedford (Katonah-Lewisboro), and your residence must be in the Town of Beford for a station parking permit and town amenities. Bedford does have some parking permits for non-residents, though they carry a premium, and are available via lottery. The Town of Bedford New York / Departments

North Castle has its own parks and rec department, camps, etc. http://www.northcastleny.com/pdf/rec...n/brochure.pdf

North Castle has libraries in Armonk and North White Plains, but you can use the Bedford and Katonah libraries as a member of the WLS, though you need to get a card at your home system.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodinewyork View Post
My general understanding is that you have access to the town where your school district is because that's where your tax dollars go, but in this case you're saying that my kids go to Bedford schools but use North Castle services?
Yes, exactly. Your tax dollars can go in different directions. In Pound Ridge there are separate tax bills for the school system and the town itself (which also includes Westchester County taxes). We can't use bedford services and they can't use ours - though they certainly pack Pound Ridge's July 4th fireworks town party :-). Ditto Katonah (town of Bedford, Lewisboro Schools). It's a safe bet that the North Castle / Bedford School district story is the same.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Since this house is just cross the south of Bedford border and close to rt 172. The best train is actually Mt Kisco. What's the parking situation there?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
I would go to Chappaqua station, not N White Plains... the train from Chappaqua during peak hours will run straight to White Plains and then Harlem and GCT. NWP is often a local train stopping in all of lower Westchester and even the Bronx.

In any rate, I am not sure how it works in North Castle, but, I know that, for example, Katonah is part of town of Bedford but in Katonah-Lewisboro schools, while they have access to Katonah and Bedford Hills train stations. My guess is it would be the same for the OP.

NWP has much better train service than Chappaqua. It's closer, and has many more trains. There are several express trains as fast as 34, 36, or 38 minutes in the morning. The fastest Chappaqua train is 46 minutes, of which there is one.

MNR Schedules

As far as the OP is concerned, I'm going to assume the house is on or near Route 22 from the description. Again, although Mt Kisco may be somewhat closer to drive to, there are many more trains from NWP, and the trip is much faster. 22 goes almost the whole way to NWP station. If you want to use MK, they have metered parking.

If you live in North Castle, and you are in the Bedford Central School district, the school portion of your property tax bill goes to the Bedford SD, and the rest goes to the town of NC and the county. if you are not a Bedford resident you can't use the Town services. The school district is separate. Mt Kisco, all of the Town of Bedford except Katonah, Pound Ridge, and small parts of North Castle are in the Bedford Central School district.

I also suggest asking your real estate broker some of these questions. That's part of their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County