Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,291,433 times

Advertisements

unfortunately there aren't, as mentioned the "real" bakeries are very far away. I find this quite odd, esp since there is a decent sized German expat population in White Plains.

Trust me, there are some days when I would love to sit down to a plate of nussecken and a glass of milk. There are other days when I want something a little more commercial like bionade, but alas they're both far..far off :-(

the mention of Lebkuchen is making me even hungrier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaite View Post
Hello. I have been searching for a cookie a German lady in my neighborhood maed for a get together several years ago. It was the most wonderful cookie I ever ate. She would not share her recipe with me and simply called it a "German Christmas Cookie". They were soft and rolled in powdered sugar. They tasted like they might have finely ground fruit, nuts and spices. The thing that made them so different was their texture. They were not cakey or crumbly. They were very unique and I have searched high and low for something that resembles them. Please let me know if anyone has a clue as to what that cookie was. Thanks! Mary
If it was round, and flat on the bottom, like half a circle when you looked at it from the side, and tasted slightly like gingerbread, it was probably a pfeffernusse cookie. They're made from ground nuts. They're also called Pepper Nut cookies. I've had many versions, but none of them as good as Auer's Bakery on Staten Island. Sadly, it changed about thirty years ago, and I've been looking for a good pfefernusse ever since.
If it was crescent shaped, it was a Kipfurl. There are a few recipes out there. They're made with ground almonds, and no spice but a little almond extract and cinnamon. My grandmother used to make these, but I never got her recipe.
Since you say it might have had fruit in it, try Lebkuchen. Schiller and Weber in the city has a better variety than Trader Joe's.
Happy hunting.

Last edited by amnewyorker; 06-09-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County