U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 31,521 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.

I was wondering if anybody knows a good german store in this area.
In Texas I was so lucky to have the German food from GermanDeli.com and BreadHaus Bakery around the corner but I haven't found anything here yet.

Thanks in advance.

Meike
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM

90 posts, read 649,097 times
I can't help you on White Plains, but the best German bakery that I have found in eastern NY is Deisings in Kingston. Unfortunateky that is about 90 miles north of White Plains. I haven't been able to find any true German bakery around greater Albany so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miekemeike View Post
Hello everybody.

In Texas I was so lucky to have the German food from GermanDeli.com and BreadHaus Bakery around the corner but I haven't found anything here yet.

Thanks in advance.

Meike

Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 31,521 times
too bad

At least we have Trader Joes here...they have some bread which is ok.
But a german store would be like heaven...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 PM

90 posts, read 649,097 times
FWIW.... There are a couple famous German butcher shops around greater NYC ... try 'Schaller and Webber' and 'Karl Ehmer'. I just don't know bakeries there. For candy ..try Hannah Krause Candy in Paramus, NJ. The extended family has a Krauses upstate in Saugerties and Albany also.

Quote:
Hello everybody.

Thanks in advance.

Meike

Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM

100 posts, read 595,485 times
None that I know of... sorry, but I will keep an eye out.

However, if you ever go into the city, you should look into a restaurant called Lederhosen on Grove Street. The selection of beers is really good, along with the wurst and schnitzel. I am also a big fan of the spaetzle too.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 11,676 times
Default German bakery near White Plains.

Quote:
Hello everybody.

Thanks in advance.

Meike
There is a German bakery in Greenwich called The Black Forest. Also, I understand there are German/Polish/Hungarian foodshops in Stamford.

Ann

Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,461 times
Question German Christmas Cookie Search

Hello. I have been searching for a cookie a German lady in my neighborhood maed for a get together several years ago. It was the most wonderful cookie I ever ate. She would not share her recipe with me and simply called it a "German Christmas Cookie". They were soft and rolled in powdered sugar. They tasted like they might have finely ground fruit, nuts and spices. The thing that made them so different was their texture. They were not cakey or crumbly. They were very unique and I have searched high and low for something that resembles them. Please let me know if anyone has a clue as to what that cookie was. Thanks! Mary

Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,935,283 times
For German foods the closest I can think of is the Carl Ehmer store in Yorktown. It is part of a chain that used to be quite a bit bigger.

The cookies were probably one of the many almond cookies (try Google-ing up German almond cookies) for some recipes, they are most often crescents or "pretzel" shaped. The only other form of cookie I could think of was Pfeffernusse. They are usually a hard cookie but are spicy and rolled in powdered sugar.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 11,131 times
Default German Bakeries in NY

Looking for a German Bakery that makes Bienenstich Cake.
Its crazy nobody has a german bakery in ny

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,756 times
Hello. I have been searching for a cookie a German lady in my neighborhood maed for a get together several years ago. It was the most wonderful cookie I ever ate. She would not share her recipe with me and simply called it a "German Christmas Cookie". They were soft and rolled in powdered sugar. They tasted like they might have finely ground fruit, nuts and spices. The thing that made them so different was their texture. They were not cakey or crumbly. They were very unique and I have searched high and low for something that resembles them. Please let me know if anyone has a clue as to what that cookie was. Thanks! Mary

Yeah, it definitely had to be Pfeffernusse or Lebkuchen. Lebkuchen is my personal favorite but they are pretty darn similiar! You can find both at a Trader Joe's this time of year (that's the easiest place if you're not convenient to a german market.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or