Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt it. This is horse country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

51 posts, read 413,393 times
IS the Salem Golf Club waspy/racist in any way?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:12 AM

30 posts, read 236,212 times
Default Define what it is you want

Dear CollegeGuy987,

Several weeks back, you sent me a message based on comments I made about Bedford (the town where I live). I've seen that you're asking about living in a few different towns, and that you're concerned about some lifestyle issues, local culture, safety and racism.

I hope that through the responses you've gotten on these various threads, you've come to a clearer understanding of the fact that all of these areas that you've been asking about are "safe". Also, as regards racism: Frankly, in these uber-rich towns, if you can afford to live there, you are welcome whatever your skin color or heritage. (BTW: I've lived in Bedford for half of my life, and for ten of these years a black family lived next door. I never asked them, but I don't think they experienced any racism. I have friends who are a inter-racial couple. They lived in a very nice area of Mount Kisco, and if they ever felt uncomfortable anywhere around here, I'm not aware of it.)

Yes, there are some exclusive clubs that discriminate against anyone who is not exactly their memberships' profile, and that can have to do with religion, nationality, economic status -- or race. That is going to be true ANYWHERE there is wealth. A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

You've made it clear that you can afford this turf. In my opinion, what you need to do is be honest with yourself and do some heavy, introspective thinking. Do you relish having the "bragging rights" of living in Greenwich or Bedford? (That's OK if you do. That's what keeps the real estate prices where they are. If that is something you want, it will simplify your search A LOT if you are honest with yourself about it.) Or is it really important to you to have a more "live and let live", easy going community? There are some really wealthy communities like that too. Katonah is one. Also ask yourself how much interaction you're really going to have with your community. If the answer is "next to none", then you should consider factors such as the physical beauty of one place versus another, its geographical location as regards things like the convenience of getting to NYC, and not to be forgotten, issues such as whether building an estate in one location or another is a good business decision (looked at purely as a real estate investment).

These are the sort of questions I think you ought to be asking. So far, based on the posts you've made on this site, I think you've been approaching this thing all wrong.

Good luck,

MsAlex

PS: You can drive fancy ultra-expensive cars anywhere around here, and you will not be alone in driving such cars either.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 33,801 times
I'm black and I live in Stamford, My husband and I are house hunting in Pound Ridge area, because the schools are better. I think its more of a money thing than a color thing. I've never had a problem or have felt uncomfortable at all.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,188 times
You can also read about Pound Ridge on repoundridge.com and Bedford (another great town) rebedford.com . Day-to-day information on what is happening in the town's real estate market

Last edited by dhilal; 02-11-2008 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,529 times
As a former resident of North Salem, It is quiet and quite peaceful and the people are on a whole are very educated with most like myself had been working for the fortune 500 companies.

It is not a racist community but education is very important to these people and also to me.

They are all believers in Christian Ethics and Christian Morality and in that sense quite conservative in their thinking and their beliefs.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA421 View Post
They are all believers in Christian Ethics and Christian Morality and in that sense quite conservative in their thinking and their beliefs.
We must hang out in different circles. Everybody I know in PR ranges from merely progressive to full-on liberal activist. And many adhere to Judeo- and Bhuddistic ethics.

In any case, the following is the most comprehensive online description of the area: //www.city-data.com/forum/westc...idge-info.html

Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
I am not black, but I am friends with a black family that live in the northern most part of Stamford CT (this area borders Pound Ridge) and they have never had a problem. Then again, they also live on a large piece of expensive property and are in the entertainment industry. My feeling is that race is not as much of a dividing issue as $$$$ - If you can afford to buy and maintain a lifestyle there, you will be accepted. There won't be a black population though, as the towns are predominately white. It is historical, quiet and beutiful there though - enjoy if you choose it!
While the northermost part of Stamford really doesn't look much different than Pound Ridge or North Salem or Greenwich and the houses are almost as expensive, there may be a difference in attitude in Stamford vs. the other 3 towns. I know a family in which wife is mixed Puerto Rican/African-American, husband is white and they could afford all 4 and they chose the northernmost part of Stamford for just that reason (more "acceptance"). The rationale is a lot of people think of Stamford as a "city" and that as such even in the "nice" parts there must be something wrong with the schools (even though IMO that is not true at all) or that there will be more "diversity" that they would like (again, pretty silly IMHO). So that those who are living in the "rich" part of Stamford are a little more accepting to begin with than the other towns. This is not to say at all that ALL people in the neighboring towns are unaccepting, nor that everyone in North Stamford is, but if I were to generalize the average of all the neighbors, etc. that's what I'm getting at. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County