U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

34 posts, read 88,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
It's not my business, but why in God's name would you spend almost as much on preschool ($20K/year) as you want to on rent ($2500/month)? That's just crazy!

Don't believe the hype. Up your budget to $3500/month to live in a more desireable area, and you are sure to find many decent schools in the $10K range. FWIW, I have several friends in very expensive montessoris near us, and they hated it so much that they are yanking their kids for next year. Make sure the method matches your child. My kids would go crazy in a school like that...they need smaller classes and more structure. But I'm sure you've taken that all into account.
JJINLA,
DS #1 is in a daycare right now, one of the best in DE. And I think they still are not able to challenge him enough.. He is a very precocious child and I was planning to send him to a proper school even if we were not moving. Moving just creates the burden of finding a school and wait time associated with it. About rent budget being same as school budget ? Well what can I say? We are from India and EDUCATION matters the most to us :-) ( no offence to anyone)..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 AM

10,762 posts, read 17,381,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmommy View Post
JJINLA,
DS #1 is in a daycare right now, one of the best in DE. And I think they still are not able to challenge him enough.. He is a very precocious child and I was planning to send him to a proper school even if we were not moving. Moving just creates the burden of finding a school and wait time associated with it. About rent budget being same as school budget ? Well what can I say? We are from India and EDUCATION matters the most to us :-) ( no offence to anyone)..
I don't think jjinla was trying to insult you, what I think he/she meant was that in Westchester the schools in the "rich" towns are often even better than most private or Montessori schools. So if you are going to spend on a Montessori school, you might want to instead just pay more to live in a "premier" elite school district like Scarsdale or Bronxville.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM

852 posts, read 2,307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I don't think jjinla was trying to insult you, what I think he/she meant was that in Westchester the schools in the "rich" towns are often even better than most private or Montessori schools. So if you are going to spend on a Montessori school, you might want to instead just pay more to live in a "premier" elite school district like Scarsdale or Bronxville.
Except that her son is 3 years old, so living in Scarsdale isn't going to help her son for 2 more years...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM

And I am not offended. I am a little confused by your statement. Are you talking about public schools in WestChester being better than private schools? Well DS#1 is only 3.5 yr old so he can't go to a public school. Idea is to send him to a place which keeps him sufficiently challenged and not just provides Daycare. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Except that her son is 3 years old, so living in Scarsdale isn't going to help her son for 2 more years...
Thank you !!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,151,187 times
Lot's of people here are proud of their SDs.

delmommy,

Given that your child is still young, you might want to consider an education that will teach him/her a skill(s) instead of diving into academic subjects right away.

Hoff-Barthelson in Scarsdale or La Piazza di Carolina in Crestwood offer alternative preschool programs for very young children.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM

10,762 posts, read 17,381,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmommy View Post
And I am not offended. I am a little confused by your statement. Are you talking about public schools in WestChester being better than private schools? Well DS#1 is only 3.5 yr old so he can't go to a public school. Idea is to send him to a place which keeps him sufficiently challenged and not just provides Daycare. Thanks!
I didn't realize we were talking about a preschooler.... I take it back, I was talking about public schools; though many public school districts do have pre-schools/pre-K and I imagine in places like Scarsdale even they are pretty good so may be worth checking out (though being a top school district doesn't always mean top public pre-K or even K offerings.....I think Bronxville is still half day Kindergarten and one of the few such districts in Westchester).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County