Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 21,241 times

Advertisements

I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom on 6 month lease (potentially longer depending on circumstances) for under $1,500 per month, but not sure where to look. I'm looking for a location that is safe to walk around and within 1 mile from a metro north station (commuting to Grand Central). Additionally, looking for some amenities close by as well, it doesn't have to be a bustling city, but would be nice to walk for food, groceries, movies, etc. if possible (not requirement though).

It seems like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, and New Rochelle have quite a bit... but I've really only heard bad things about these areas. However, maybe there are some nicer spots? Hopefully some of the safer locations are around the train station?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 AM

38 posts, read 64,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVermont View Post
I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom on 6 month lease (potentially longer depending on circumstances) for under $1,500 per month, but not sure where to look. I'm looking for a location that is safe to walk around and within 1 mile from a metro north station (commuting to Grand Central). Additionally, looking for some amenities close by as well, it doesn't have to be a bustling city, but would be nice to walk for food, groceries, movies, etc. if possible (not requirement though).

It seems like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, and New Rochelle have quite a bit... but I've really only heard bad things about these areas. However, maybe there are some nicer spots? Hopefully some of the safer locations are around the train station?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Fleetwood area in Mt.Vernon, Bronxville P.O. in Yonkers, and you might want to consider some of the Bronx stations.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 AM

653 posts, read 783,997 times
I agree with the Fleetwood, Mt. Vernon suggestion. This area really has everything you are looking for. I think you can find 1-bedroom apartments starting around $1,200 a month in this area. There is a Fleetwood Metro North station for the train into Grand Central and there are plenty of amenities within walking distance. I would search near Gramatan Avenue, north of Lincoln Avenue. There is Cross Conty Mall nearby for shopping and movies, and Ridge Hill is a short drive away for more shopping, movies, dining.....

Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks, that helps narrow things down. Would there be an area of New Rochelle that I should look into? Also, the Bronxville area of Yonkers essentially seems to overlap with Fleetwood, would likely take that train. I assume that living further south or west in Yonkers isn't as nice then? So, instead of Yonkers train station, perhaps Greystone (or Glenwood)?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,307 times
Greystone area of Yonkers is quiet and nice. It is also quite convenient. I would recommend looking in that area.
I would avoid Glenwood; it starts getting sketchier around there.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks Jeff! I looked further into New Rochelle and seems that the downtown, where the train station is, might not be the best area... so think that could be off the table. However, there is Pelham nearby... how is that area in comparison? Also, perhaps I'm wrong about New Rochelle?

But for now at least having it narrowed to ~1 mile from Greystone or Fleetwood stations is good.

I've also been looking further north, looks like there is Hastings/Dobbs Ferry/Irvington/Tarrytown along the Hudson, some of rent is a bit high, some reasonable though. Then Larchmont/Mamaroneck/Rye/Port Chester (even as far as Stamford I suppose... but rents there seem a bit high).

Anyways, I'll just keep on looking. I wonder if, since I want short term lease without broker fee if it's worth subletting?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:27 AM

53 posts, read 82,990 times
The nice thing about Hastings is that the part by the train is the cheap part. The main street with a couple of restaurants and a 24 hr store are right there, too. You might only need to drive on the weekends.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times
I looked for months before settling on Stamford. No broker fees in Stamford and no scanning which is pervasive in Westchester. Inventory of decent apartments is much, much higher in Stamford. After viewing a dozen dumps in Westchester I quickly found a place in Stamford using an agent who specializes in rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County