Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 PM

81 posts, read 614,374 times

Advertisements

TinaCL...yes the 2 and 5 train run late. However, if I were you, I'd take the Express Bus. The BX 11 runs til midnight. You can take it to Pelham Parkway and either catch the 12 bus one stop to Muliner or take a cab home. Another alternative Express Bus is the BX 10, but that's out of your way (but still good to know as a backup). You could take it to Eastchester Rd and catch the 12 bus the other direction to Muliner.

I think you'll like the neighborhood and yes...the apartments are very nice and spacious. You definitely will get more for your money than you would in Manhattan. I know a couple that moved in my building last year from 86th st. to get away from the exhorbitant rent. They love it.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM

216 posts, read 990,797 times
there are many areas of nyc that have improved since the wild 80's/early 90's, pelham pkwy is definately not 1 of them. it has changed drastically (for the worse) over the last 8-10 yrs. ive witnessed it firsthand, living here since 89'.

it had a rep of being a very good area basically forever, but that was then. the older generation, middle class (and many jews) that dominated the area has virtually vanished.

just skimming thru threads on it, imo people underestimate how bad its gotten. its a shade of what it used to be.

drug dealing is a big problem. i routinely see narcs scanning from rooftops/arrests being made.

there is grafitti everywhere (not that its a big deal in itself), but its a sign of changes in the neighb.

car theft is very common. since 98' my ride has been stolen THREE times.

robbery and break-ins have also become a big thing. a guy in my building was recently robbed at gunpoint by albanian thugs, then pistol whipped after giving whatever he had. he didnt even report it. even if he knew who did it, he wouldnt because of fear of revenge. alot of shyt goes unreported. i am friends with a local locksmith, and he tells of countless breakins that occur. his busness is booming.

between albanians boys...latin kings and bloods (from the projects on the pelham pkwy north side)...there is plenty of gang acitivity to go around. the albanians are a wild ppl, poppin shots in the air out of their sunrooves (wtf is the point). they come from a country that has a violent culture. the govt has little power there. the mafia and street gangs control the cities. one guy told me it is not unusual for a father to teach his son how to handle a kalishnikov at like ages 8-12.

there is prositition going on (not that i would know first hand lol, but u hear alot just by hanging out outside), along a section 8 strip. this suprised me...pretty disturbing.

all this stuff was unheard of before the late 90's.

overall, the area has declined bigtime. the only part thats still good is east of williamsbridge up towards jacobi hospital (much more expensive though). its quiet there. white plains rd, boston rd, bx park east, unionport rd, bronxdale ave, allerton ave...all these streets east to williamsbridge are nothing to write home about. i would NOT recommend anyone moving here, it isnt south bronx bad but its getting worse every year. i wouldnt be suprised in 5-10 yrs if this area turns into a real dump.

anyway, enough ranting. just wanted to review the area i've lived in for so long.

Last edited by Concept; 08-20-2007 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,784,055 times
I feel the areas near White Plains Road (Tenement areas) are going to decline big time if the current trends keep up. Quality of Life in that area has taken a nose dive over the years. Around the 2 Train is very shady at night. However it's still one of the better areas in the Bronx.

BTW, they put up some new HUD buildings around there. Right off the Bronx Park East station on the 2 line. Although that is technically Van Nest it's right up on the border. I can only imagine the problems that has brung, becuase the buildings up the block along White Plains Road and Bronxdale Ave are already drug infested.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM

25 posts, read 63,197 times
Generally, the further east you go along Pelham Pkwy the nicer/safer it becomes, and the less convenient public transportation becomes. If you would like a balance between the two, i would say anywhere within walking distance east of the 5 Train Pelham Pkwy station would be a good bet This station is a Pelham Pkwy N & Williamsbridge Rd. (Dyre Av bound 5 station, not 238 St bound 5, which also runs on the 2 line [White Plains Rd] during rush hrs)
With that said the areas closest to White Plains Rd, while definitely wont be mistaken for a suburban oasis, are not terrible by Bronx standards. Finding an apt east of Williamsbridge Rd. may be more difficult b/c the area becomes much less densely populated, more private homes, less apt bldgs.

Its about a 35 -40 min subway ride from Pelham Pkwy to Midtown on the 2/5. 5 train probably on the shorter side.
The Dyre Av 5 line doesn't run late nights. You have to use the 2 train, then transfer to a shuttle train which runs from E 180 St to Dyre Av. 2 trains runs all the time on White Plains Rd.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 26,826 times
I actually grew up almost near bensonhurst in brooklyn so I should be at home when I find my Aptment on Pelham Parkway.. Only thing I will probably miss is the access to the coney Island beach area. is Orchard beach at least nice?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 AM

33 posts, read 152,440 times
Tina, I grew up in Morris Park and when I first got married I had an apartment on the Esplanade right next to the train station. It's been years, but I thought it was a great commute. During rush hour the #5 and #2 run express trains once you pass 180th street. I could get into mid-town in 30-35 minutes during rush hour. When I was expecting my first child, I stopped riding the trains and took the express bus from Morris Park Avenue. It was more expensive and the commute was longer, but I always got a seat and it was a nice, comfortable ride. It was privately run back then, but it looks like the MTA runs it now, so I don't know how it is anymore. If you are coming home late at night from Manhattan, my advice would be to take the express bus to Morris Park. I would NOT take the train late at night particularly if you are a lone female, but that's me. It's fine during rush hour though. I think the walk from Morris Park would be safer than a walk from Pelham Parkway & White Plains road, even though it may be a bit longer of a walk.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm10cur.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County