U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM

374 posts, read 984,068 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a network/cable wire installer? Need to wire my home cheaply. I've look at some companies and there pricing is way too much. I'll probably end up doing it myself if nothing affordable comes up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM

2,530 posts, read 6,243,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
Anyone know of a network/cable wire installer? Need to wire my home cheaply. I've look at some companies and there pricing is way too much. I'll probably end up doing it myself if nothing affordable comes up.
There's no cheap way other than yourself. Do it. I did. Much MUCH faster and more reliable than WiFi crap.

I ran from the basement up to the first floor and 1 line to the attic with a hub going down to 2nd floor rooms. There are about 4 rooms hardwired and Wifi access points for our numerous roaming laptops.

Get good quality tools. Termination is a PITA. Invest in termination testers to be sure you terminated right. Otherwise you'll go crazy wondering why speed is slow, computers spontaneously disconnect etc etc. Even pros have to redo a lot of terminations. Be careful not to kink cables or tug them too hard. They can and do break internally. Lots of info on the interwebs. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM

374 posts, read 984,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
There's no cheap way other than yourself. Do it. I did. Much MUCH faster and more reliable than WiFi crap.

I ran from the basement up to the first floor and 1 line to the attic with a hub going down to 2nd floor rooms. There are about 4 rooms hardwired and Wifi access points for our numerous roaming laptops.

Get good quality tools. Termination is a PITA. Invest in termination testers to be sure you terminated right. Otherwise you'll go crazy wondering why speed is slow, computers spontaneously disconnect etc etc. Even pros have to redo a lot of terminations. Be careful not to kink cables or tug them too hard. They can and do break internally. Lots of info on the interwebs. Good luck.
what do you mean by termination? My install would be pretty easy. Just need 3 rooms with 1 coax and 1 cat6. I would have a router in the basement for cat6 and a splitter for coax.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
what do you mean by termination?
Termination is just clamping the plug or socket on to the end of the cable. I was assuming that you'd run the cables from your hub/router to wall sockets with plates (similar to the cable outlets in most houses). In that case you'd "terminate" the cable at the socket. If you use store-bought cables with plugs then it's a non-issue.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

ps - be careful putting a splitter on the end of a coax cable. Unless you have an inline booster or amp the splitter reduces signal strength and introduces noise. For TV it usually doesn't matter. For data it OFTEN matters. symptoms include getting cut off from the web and slow speed. This can occur even though the TV works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County