Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 14,482 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Astoria, Queens and we are looking to move just outside the city. Does anyone have suggestions for a good neighborhood in Yonkers? I work in Manhattan and the commute would be a consideration for me. We prefer a suburb area, apartment or house is okay as long as it is quiet with proximity to public transportation and some commercial areas (laundry/grocery/shops).

Any help on narrowing down a neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
The Cedar Knolls section of Yonkers (Bronxville zip) seems right up your alley. Many apartment buildings near the Bronxville border, a few stores, access to village of Bronxville and Metro North. Part with large homes very nice but a 10-15 minute walk to train. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 PM

95 posts, read 250,781 times
Default very nice suburban neighborhoods in Yonkers

Check out the following neighborhoods:

Colonial Heights
Crestwood
Beech Hill
Lawrence Park West
Cedar Knolls
Lincoln Park

Plenty of options in these neighborhoods, depending on your preferences.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Most of Yonkers is alright except for Southwest Yonkers, which is comparable to a lot of low-income neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM

326 posts, read 718,636 times
Look along Midland Ave bordering Central Avenue near the Yonkers/Bronxville border...many private home apartment rentals..co-op's....and you will be within walking distance to the express bus to Manhattan which runs weekdays only ($7.50 one way)..and public bus transportation on Central Avenue to stores in Yonkers..Scarsdale...Hartsdale...etc. going north to White Plains where you will find at least three indoor shopping malls... and you will be close to Metro North also living in this area which is still a very nice neighborhood...many of the original homeowners from the '50's still live there.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 14,482 times
Thanks so much for your responses. I have listed down the areas you've suggested. This narrows down my search significantly, really appreciate it. I do hope we find available rentals in those areas. I love how Colonial heights looks like but doubt I can find something we can afford. Our current rent in Astoria is 1300 for a nice 1 bedroom. We are hoping to get something less than 1200 since some of the money we would save would go to my transportation costs. I hope this is doable.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM

326 posts, read 718,636 times
You are on the right track looking east of Central Avenue in Yonkers because all the areas are good and don't forget about the town of Tuckahoe right next to Colonial Heights..the town is small and safe and quiet and the Metro North station runs right through it. You won't find many apartment building rentals in the good areas of Yonkers...most went co-op years ago...you would need to rent in a private home or buy a co-op.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM

61 posts, read 376,853 times
Question Help finding a nice neighborhood in Yonkers

Hello,

Currently, I live in Astoria, NY as well. For quite some time, I have been thinking of other places to relocate due to the high cost of living in NYC.

I like to inquire about the section in Yonkers called Ridge Hill. How is the area - safety, cost of living, transportation, stores, etc.?

Any info/responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka178 View Post
Hello,

Currently, I live in Astoria, NY as well. For quite some time, I have been thinking of other places to relocate due to the high cost of living in NYC.

I like to inquire about the section in Yonkers called Ridge Hill. How is the area - safety, cost of living, transportation, stores, etc.?

Any info/responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I looked on Google Maps, and it looks like Ridge Hill is in Eastern Yonkers, around the NYS Thruway north of Tuckahoe Road.

It is a nice area, but it seems like you would be kind of isolated. According to the Westchester Bus map (http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)) there are only a few buses that travel there: The #3, #8, #43, and #78, depending on which part of Ridge Hill you live in, and you would have to take one of those buses to access the Metro-North.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM

41 posts, read 115,694 times
Which area did you settle in, and how do you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County