Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM

59 posts, read 178,169 times

Advertisements

Hello. What are the top schools in Westchester county for classical ballet training? I am not talking "Dolly Dinkle " here, ....I mean where they produce real dancers that get into professional companies and go away to summer intensives to big schools like Joffrey, San Francisco or ABT to study. Does such a place exist in Westchester County, or do people usually just schlep their kids into the city to train at SAB or JKO school. Thank-you for any advice. Also... do they have scholarship programs for boys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM

64 posts, read 203,733 times
Logrea Dance Academy in Ossining. Hands down. I don't have kids there, but am a retired dancer with a BFA, so I know my stuff. I have seen their students perform numerous times and they are quite impressive. I have no idea on scholarships, though.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 10,129 times
Default Best for ballet training in Westchester County

I agree completely with KathyNY76, Logrea Dance Academy in Ossining, NY is by far the best for ballet training (and their jazz, modern and tap are first rate as well). The Academy is the official school of the Westchester Ballet Company and they do have scholarships available. Auditions are on September 8 and you can find more information on the school at Home | Logrea Dance Academy | School of the Westchester Ballet Company | 914-941-2939 and more info on the auditions at: Scholarships « The Westchester Ballet Company

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 9,704 times
Default After much research, I recommend Logrea Dance Academy

I have to agree with the first two respondents, Logrea Dance Academy offers the best ballet training in Westchester County. (Disclosure: I presently work at LDA.) I have a strong background in ballet, and one of my daughters is a professional ballet dancer. When I was looking to work with a ballet school and small company, I wanted to work with the best and after extensive research, there was no question that Logrea Dance Academy was the best in the area. Before I had children, I worked with a professional ballet company, and today I am proud to be working with Logrea Dance Academy. They provide a strong curriculum of training from the youngest students to professional level. The students on their Intensive Track attend the best Summer Intensives around the country, and have the technique and training to take their dance career in any direction and to whatever level they desire. The Directors and Teachers at LDA create an environment of encouragement and support while maintaining the highest standards. It is wonderful to watch these young dancers enjoy their classes in a happy and enriching environment. LDA has been providing the best ballet training for over 25 years with a consistently superior professional teaching staff. They have exceptional Instructors for Modern, Jazz and Tap as well to ensure that their dancers will be well-rounded and competitive in today's dance world. You don't have to sacrifice personal life and take on burdensome travel to ensure high-quality ballet training. Also, Logrea Dance Academy is the official school of the Westchester Ballet Company, providing performance opportunities that even the NYC schools do not provide - especially for those crucial pre-professional years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrake View Post
Hello. What are the top schools in Westchester county for classical ballet training? I am not talking "Dolly Dinkle " here, ....I mean where they produce real dancers that get into professional companies and go away to summer intensives to big schools like Joffrey, San Francisco or ABT to study. Does such a place exist in Westchester County, or do people usually just schlep their kids into the city to train at SAB or JKO school. Thank-you for any advice. Also... do they have scholarship programs for boys?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM

59 posts, read 178,169 times
Do they send their boys to YAGP?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,305 times
Up until recently, I would have agreed that Logrea Dance Academy provides the best dance education in Westchester, but more recently they're fallen from their niche of providing quality dance instruction in a kind, supportive atmosphere and have instituted a tacky practice of hiring former students who have done nothing to qualify themselves as teachers. There is also much pressure for parents to pay for private lessons for their children (at an additional cost, of course), and for the older students to participate in the directors' son's "zumba" classes, also for an additional fee! The staff has become rude and condescending, particularly the front desk secretary and the production manager. Add to that the cliques and favoritism (mostly involving children of the staff and their friends), and well... I'm sure you get the picture. Suffice it to say, if you're a serious dancer it's very difficult here unless you want to "play the game." A shame, really since there once was great potential here.
That said, there are a couple of options I would recommend. Logrea recently lost their "Best of Westchester" ballet school status to Academy of Dance Arts in nearby Pleasantville, NY. Although I don't have first hand experience seeing their classes, I can say they are welcoming, enthusiastic, and innovative, and students have been accepted in many fine BFA programs of their choice. The Director seems lovely, and able to bring out the best in ALL of her students. In addition I can HIGHLY recommend the Greenwich Ballet Academy which has studios in both Greenwich, Ct and Port Chester, NY. Their faculty is definitely top notch (no unqualified former favorite students here...) and admission is by audition only. I attended their 2011 Nutcracker performance and was delighted that they featured renowned ballet stars Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky. What a marvelous opportunity for the students! I am not certain about YAGP participation, but I do know that Logrea had only a few participate over the years, and other than 1 student, there haven't been any real stand-outs.

Last edited by Jessiesmom60; 07-16-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 8,044 times
Default Vaganova ballet

Hello, Greenwich Ballet Academy is a 7 year old school (studios in downtown Greenwich and in Port Chester, NY). They have THE highest quality instruction, all russian teachers. Students have been YAGP winners and finalists. Their productions are spectacular (one coming up in June), and they always have ABT principals as guest artists and master class teachers. This upcoming is Le Bayadere and Irina Drovorenko will be dancing.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 28,750 times
If you son really wants to pursue a career in dance you will probably have to look into NYC. Ok schools in Westchester are Scarsdale Ballet Studio in Scarsdale and Logrea Dance Academy in Ossining. These schools will only get you so far. Would only recommend up to age 12.

SAB offers scholarships to all boys programs. Auditions for under 12 passed already over 12 coming up in September. For JKO school you can call for a private audition. Both are very selective schools and hard to get into. Admission is only for one year and your son would have to be re-invited to stay.

Other schools in NYC you should consider are, MYB and Gelsey Kirkland Academy. These are pre-professional quality programs and often place their students into quality summer programs and professional careers.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,175 times
Hello everyone. My recommendation is entirely biased, as I am a volunteer supporter of this school. Many schools claim to offer "pre-professional" or "professional" training, but I invite you to study these materials in detail and speak with the director, Carole Alexis, to satisfy yourself of the quality of our program:

balletdesameriques.com
summerintensive.com
facebook.com/balletdesameriques

Best regards,
Hans-Jakob Wilhelm, Ph.D., Board Chair
Ballet des Amériques
Training - Education - Performance

Last edited by guglielmo; 09-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: editing URLs

Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,482 times
If you're really committed to staying in the Westchester area for serious training, I would suggest looking into Greenwich Ballet Academy or Ballet des Ameriques, both of which offer exceptional training in a supportive and professional environment. In addition, they treat all of their students and parents with kindness, caring, and respect. Productions are wonderful, and clearly show that they bring out the best in every dancer.

I would steer clear of Logrea Dance Academy. Have heard they engage in unethical business practices and nepotism. It shows - a definite decline in the quality of performance this past year. Very disappointing for this once vibrant company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County