Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 12,992 times

Advertisements

We're currently renting in LIC where I also work (15 mins walk). Now, we're considering to buy a 2 bed/2 bath co-op as we are expecting a baby next year. Budget ~$450K, monthly payment (mortgage + main fees) <$3K

We originally started looking in Forest Hills & Rego Park because of the easy commute. Yet, the inventory is very low and market is too hot. The neighbor is nice but most buildings are very dated and lack of parking space.

Therefore, we expanded our search range. Visited both Great Neck and White Plains. Both towns seem to offer similar commute time to LIC with express trains to the City.

I like WP a little more because of its downtown and apartments there are priced lower than GN. Under my budget, we can possibly get a 3 bedroom. However, without an express train, coming to the city from WP takes about 1 hour. It's also far from any big airports. No good public school system and not sure if there are good pre-schools.

GN is nice. I like the school system. This gives us an option to stay in the same neighborhood when our child is ready for school. But GN is a little bit more suburb than WP. Not much to do in the downtown area. Under my budget, no chance to get 3-bedroom like WP. Also, there seems to always have traffic going to the city during weekends.

We wanted to stay focus while hunting for our first dream home but are challenged to do so. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
You will not find a nice home in Great Neck for $450K. Maybe at 2x the budget.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM

We are not looking for a house but co-op apartment. Yes, you will find apartments in that range in GN. Went visit some apartments there already within the range.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM

354 posts, read 775,920 times
I'm curious how you got the impression that the school system wasn't good in white Plains.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 AM

71 posts, read 133,591 times
It probably boils down to how important the schools are to you now versus later. I think White Plains is fine, lots of commercial activity (shopping, bars, restaurants, etc.), and has more going on than GN. However, GN has *excellent* public schools and other town benefits (a great public pool system, for instance).

I don't have data to back it up, but I think that commuting via Metro-North (WP) is more reliable and comfortable than via the LIRR (GN) (and Grand Central is *far* better than Penn Station). Plus, being on Nassau is limiting driving-wise, whereas in Westchester there are multiple highways and you're far less likely to be stuck on a highway parking lot than you are on the LIE.

As for pre-K, etc., you'll have lots of options in both areas, even if not in WP or GN proper.

If you want to eventually upgrade to a house, it will be *far* more expensive to do so in GN than WP.

In my opinion, the schools are better in GN--not a dig on WP, just a fact that GN schools are consistently ranked amongst the best--and almost everything else better in WP, between the two.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I'm curious how you got the impression that the school system wasn't good in white Plains.
In terms of school ratings, I don't find any highly rated schools in White Plains. Happy to hear your experience.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbutlooking View Post
It probably boils down to how important the schools are to you now versus later. I think White Plains is fine, lots of commercial activity (shopping, bars, restaurants, etc.), and has more going on than GN. However, GN has *excellent* public schools and other town benefits (a great public pool system, for instance).

I don't have data to back it up, but I think that commuting via Metro-North (WP) is more reliable and comfortable than via the LIRR (GN) (and Grand Central is *far* better than Penn Station). Plus, being on Nassau is limiting driving-wise, whereas in Westchester there are multiple highways and you're far less likely to be stuck on a highway parking lot than you are on the LIE.

As for pre-K, etc., you'll have lots of options in both areas, even if not in WP or GN proper.

If you want to eventually upgrade to a house, it will be *far* more expensive to do so in GN than WP.

In my opinion, the schools are better in GN--not a dig on WP, just a fact that GN schools are consistently ranked amongst the best--and almost everything else better in WP, between the two.
This is very helpful, Brooklynbutlooking! You're absolutely right! We probably shouldn't be worried about schools in the next 5 years! Need to experience the peak-hour commute. See what's it like for commuting to Grand Central vs. to Penn Station.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:08 AM

307 posts, read 637,207 times
I briefly rented an apt in Great Neck many years ago. It has a very specific demographic, my experience is either you fit in or you dont. The schools and the commute to NYC are both very good.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
I briefly rented an apt in Great Neck many years ago. It has a very specific demographic, my experience is either you fit in or you dont. The schools and the commute to NYC are both very good.
Thank you!

Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvny View Post
In terms of school ratings, I don't find any highly rated schools in White Plains. Happy to hear your experience.
White Plains is a pretty good school district. All of the schools are decent. None will be Scarsdale-level, though, obviously. White Plains is an urban suburb, with rentals, subsidized housing, income restricted housing, etc. It's diverse economically, with rich and poor.

I doubt there's any difference between outcomes between White Plains and Great Neck, if you control for income and race. But you will never have elite overall scores, because there are poor Guatemalan families (to take an example) in White Plains, and somewhere like Great Neck basically just has kids of rich Asian and Jewish families. White Plains has no shortage of that demographic either, but it just has every other possible demographic too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County