U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 PM

92 posts, read 341,097 times

Advertisements

What cell phone providers have the best voice and data coverage in NYC, along the Metro North Harlem Line, and the northern Westchester area? Specifically, how is Sprint and T-Mobile?

After two years of dropped calls and no data more often than not, my AT&T contract is finally up and I am researching new carriers. I have a Verizon iPad so I know how their service is, but I don't know much about Sprint and T-Mobile.

How do they compare, especially data-wise as I send a lot of emails and stream a lot of shows from the train. Is service stable (not too spotty), is the data connection 3G/4G most of the time?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 24,034 times
I am in northern westchester.. I take harlem line daily

I had att- scrapped it
I had sprint - scrapped it

I have VZW.. it works everywhere i need it

I do hear that sprint have being trying to improve their network

thanks

Last edited by doogan123; 07-25-2011 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,019,988 times
T mobile is hit or miss up there. I've found that when I'm closer to the river, service is fine. When I head over around somers or even just over the putnam county line, my service is either gone or roaming on at&t. be careful!

Although everyone I know with Verizon always have service up there.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks! The problem with Verizon for me is the data- the call coverage is fine, but the data is extremely slow to non-existent which is tough when trying to send emails or remote into work.

I'm hoping for a 4G phone for this, but Verizon doesn't have an LTE phone with a qwerty keyboard, and LTE stops in southern Westchester. T-Mobile seems to have a slower, but still good 4G network up to around Mount Kisco, but I'm afraid about the spotty network you talk about, and the AT&T merge.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
Thanks! The problem with Verizon for me is the data- the call coverage is fine, but the data is extremely slow to non-existent which is tough when trying to send emails or remote into work.

I'm hoping for a 4G phone for this, but Verizon doesn't have an LTE phone with a qwerty keyboard, and LTE stops in southern Westchester. T-Mobile seems to have a slower, but still good 4G network up to around Mount Kisco, but I'm afraid about the spotty network you talk about, and the AT&T merge.
Also if you travel, ATT is really amazing everywhere else in the world though it is unuseable in NY.

For example, I attended a sporting event in the Garden and couldn't make a single phone call or send a single text.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM

414 posts, read 238,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post

don't blab on the train!@!@ i mean a few seconds here and there is fine, but the harlem line is nice and quiet. lets keep it that way. :-)

Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,434,585 times
yea, I feel the same way. If that started happening hopefully they'd initiate a quiet car program.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM

414 posts, read 238,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
yea, I feel the same way. If that started happening hopefully they'd initiate a quiet car program.
no, they should start a loud car program. only 1 car for phones.
i'm not going to complain though, i ride LIRR occaisonally, everyone is blabbing.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
don't blab on the train!@!@ i mean a few seconds here and there is fine, but the harlem line is nice and quiet. lets keep it that way. :-)
Hey i use it for emails and remoting into work... plus streaming videos/ballgames, with headphones, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County