Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 38,883 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in GA, and I am considering attending seminary in Crestwood beginning next year. I would be bringing my wife and our 2 teenage children with me. We would live in on campus housing for about $850/mo. My wife's job would be the main financial support for us. She would probably be working as an admistrative assistant so we would not be living on easy street by any stretch of the imagination. The total cost of schooling including the apartment would be around $25,000/year, but financial aid and scholarships may reduce this amount significantly.

Having provided this information I have a few questions-

1. How are the middle/ high schools in the area?
2. Are there any private schools with scholarships or financial aid?
3. In what areas should my wife look for work considering transportation and job availability?
4. How much could my wife expect to make as an administrative assistant with an associate degree?

Any other helpful input in addition to answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,552,459 times
I live about 8 miles from Crestwood. Crestwood is a small section of Yonkers(a big city) that borders the town and village of Eastchester and Crestwood is also a small section in the town and village of Eastchester. There is a Crestwood railroad station at Columbus Avenue and Fisher Street that is the Harlem line of the suburban commuter railroads that goes to Grand Central as well as points north like Scarsdale, White plains, etc. The area also has the Westchester County bee Line bus system that I believe runs along route 22.

I don't know that area in detail as far as schools but I do know Eastchester High School is at route 22, a major thoroughfare. I don't know how the schools are in that area but if i had to guess, Eastchester schools are probably better than the Tuckahoe schools. A neighboring village, Bronxville(just below Tuckahoe), is one of the most affluent communitites in the nation and would have the best schools. All these communities are accessible from the train or bus lines

Probably the best schools would be found in neighboring communities llike Bronxville, Scarsdale, Fleetwood section of Mt Vernon, maybe White Plains. All are accessible via bus and trains

Sorry, wish I knew more about these areas

Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 38,883 times
I have found out that Crestwood is in the Yonkers school district. In addition to the other questions I listed i the OP, what would be your take on the Yonkers school district?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,552,459 times
probably that eastern section of Yonkers which borders Eastchester, Tuckahoe, bronxville and Scarsdale may have the best schools in Yonkers compared to other areas to the west because those are the nicest parts of Yonkers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County