Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times

Advertisements

Katonah and Bedford have the prettiest main streets in a New Englandy way. Peekskill is lovely--parts are run-down, but the architecture is some of the best in the county (both the brick and stone downtown buildings and all of the gorgeous Victorians) and the views of the river, Bear Mountain, and Anthony's Nose are great. Downtown Ossining also has some great buildings and some really lovely residential streets.

I love Mt. Kisco, but I would hardly call the downtown pretty. Ditto the commercial streets in Pleasantville, although some of the residential streets are lovely. The Upper Village of Croton is very attractive and has some great buildings, though other parts of town are not attractive at all. I've never found Bronxville at all attractive, but you know what they say about beauty...

While it has some lovely villages and towns, not to mention loads of stunning houses, I'd say that Westchester's greatest beauty by far is natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Are you looking for an interesting downtown commercial district, often colloquially referred to as a village, that may be in a village or a hamlet or are you looking for an actual village, a municipal corporation?

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of New York.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
One thing that surprises and disappoints me about some beautiful northern Westchester areas is the lack of walkability. For instance, South Salem. I understand that it's extremely dog friendly. But if you are living on Rt. 123 for example, where does one walk at night? There are no sidewalks or walking trails. I think this is a mistake. Unless you live near a village, you need a car for everything, it seems.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
One thing that surprises and disappoints me about some beautiful northern Westchester areas is the lack of walkability. For instance, South Salem. I understand that it's extremely dog friendly. But if you are living on Rt. 123 for example, where does one walk at night? There are no sidewalks or walking trails. I think this is a mistake. Unless you live near a village, you need a car for everything, it seems.
It depends on how you define "walkability." We live in a sidewalkless area with lots of space between properties and we walk from our house all the time. We take long walks on our street (which is gorgeous). We also take walks in the nature preserve across the street and in the hundreds of acres of state owned woods behind the house. We also go for bike rides on our road. And we're a short drive from a huge number of walking and hiking options.

It's certainly true that we don't walk here at night and we need a car in order to go shopping or to a restaurant, but having lived most of my life in NYC I find being able to easily drive and park anywhere incredibly liberating. I love going into the city but I find the need to subway everywhere and to walk everywhere no matter the weather to be a major pain. And the idea of schlepping groceries! Up in northern Westchester driving is a pleasure and we walk when and where we want. On balance I am quite sure that we walk more than we did in the city. We don't walk a few blocks to the market, but we take long walks in the woods and on lovely roads and paths. It a different relationship to walking, which I find much healthier.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
It depends on how you define "walkability." We live in a sidewalkless area with lots of space between properties and we walk from our house all the time. We take long walks on our street (which is gorgeous). We also take walks in the nature preserve across the street and in the hundreds of acres of state owned woods behind the house. We also go for bike rides on our road. And we're a short drive from a huge number of walking and hiking options.

It's certainly true that we don't walk here at night and we need a car in order to go shopping or to a restaurant, but having lived most of my life in NYC I find being able to easily drive and park anywhere incredibly liberating. I love going into the city but I find the need to subway everywhere and to walk everywhere no matter the weather to be a major pain. And the idea of schlepping groceries! Up in northern Westchester driving is a pleasure and we walk when and where we want. On balance I am quite sure that we walk more than we did in the city. We don't walk a few blocks to the market, but we take long walks in the woods and on lovely roads and paths. It a different relationship to walking, which I find much healthier.
What he said. Exactly.

If "walkability" means strolling on sidewalks to a town center of some sort to pick up a gallon of milk or have a beer, then it ain't for you. IMO the unchallenged winners in that genre, and pretty as well, are the close-to-town parts of Ridgefield and New Canaan CT. They're both Katonah on steroids.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM

Dma, you are fortunate to live on a street that is walkable, without trucks zooming by. I was visiting someone in South Salem on a main road and could see it would be impossible to walk anywhere directly from the house. But of course, not all roads in Westchester are that busy and unsafe to walk on. I like your clarification about walking for the fun of walking as opposed to walking and schlepping.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The answer is not to live directly on Rt 123 (or Rt 35 or Rt 172 or Rt 124 or Rt 121 or whatever). It's a highway. Do some homework and live on a on a side road so you can just walk to your local preserve. There are preserves, reservations, conservancy lands etc all over the place. All have trails. Many are obscure, however, and pretty much local secrets. Or walk on the roads themselves. There are countless quiet country roads, many unpaved (nicer for the horsies footsies). Traffic is very light. We walk our dog off a leash, no problem. Passing motorists will wave at you. The tableau of seeing people walking a free and happy dog on a country road just enriched their day, reminding them of why they're up here in the first place. So they smile instead of giving you the finger.

Same applies to Pound Ridge, Bedford, Lewisboro, etc. I never felt the lack of sidewalks. That said, you do need a car, there's no escaping it. Though I'd argue that the it's least necessary for recreational walking unless your walking includes errands of some kind.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Dma, you are fortunate to live on a street that is walkable, without trucks zooming by. I was visiting someone in South Salem on a main road and could see it would be impossible to walk anywhere directly from the house. But of course, not all roads in Westchester are that busy and unsafe to walk on. I like your clarification about walking for the fun of walking as opposed to walking and schlepping.
Oops, posts crossed in the interwebs.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Right Kletter, one has to find a quiet road. I actually prefer walking on quiet roads -- fewer ticks.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,356 times
What about Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown? (in my biased opinion, the best rivertowns!)

Philipse Manor and Sleepy Hollow Manor are very charming neighborhoods, and many streets in both villages serve as that idyllic American town (for me at least.)

Tarrtown's Main Street is also unmatched, with the Tarrytown Music Hall, Great Restaurants, and that new vintage guitar shop. It's obviously my favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County