U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 52,642 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in knowing anyone's first hand experience with this area, including thoughts on the Blind Brook schools, community, and commute. I would also be interested in knowing how others feel this area compares to toher communities in lower Westchester.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,033,502 times
I grew up in the area now known as Rye Brook (before it became the village of Rye Brook, it was simply known as the Town of Rye, or Port Chester; many people did not want to associate themselves with Port Chester and preferred to say they lived in Rye Town).

I attended both the elementary school and the high school in Rye Brook from kindergarten through 12th grade. I would say that both were good schools. Classes were small enough not to get lost in the crowd. When I attended BBHS, I don't think there were any honors courses available, but there were advanced placement courses. As far as the student body is concerned, if you are looking for diversity, you are not likely to find it in the Rye Brook schools. When I attended school, there was literally only 1 black family and 1 Asian family in the school system, and no Hispanics/Latinos. This is going back to the late 70s, however, so you may wish to get more recent information from other people on the forum.

The physical building of the high school has changed quite a bit from when it first opened and had "open classrooms" with acoustic partitions between many of the classes instead of walls. The building was rather ugly, too, looking something like a prison with the stairwells at the corners of the building almost resembling guard towers. An expansion and renovation was done in recent years, and it now looks like a much more traditional high school. The athletic fields were expanded as well.

Rye Brook was and I'm sure still is a good, safe place to raise a family. My parents chose it when they decided to move up from Riverdale in the Bronx to raise myself and 2 siblings. My parents lived there for over 33 years, without an alarm system in their home, and their home was never once robbed. It is an easy drive to White Plains and Greenwich for shopping (we used to go to both), and depending on where you live in the village, you can easily access the Hutchinson River Parkway, the Merritt Parkway (to Connecticut) or I-287.

On the downside, Rye Brook has no real "downtown" area. There is no Main St lined with little shops. The closest thing to a downtown area in Rye Brook is the area where the Rye Ridge shopping center (the oldest of the 3 in Rye Brook) and the other 2 nearby shopping areas on South Ridge Street are. The village offices and police department used to be located across Bowman Avenue from the Rye Ridge shopping center, but are now located on King St just up the hill from the high school. Also, note that if you plan to commute into NYC by train, Rye Brook does not have its own train station. Instead, residents have to commute from nearby Port Chester, Rye or even Harrison.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

179 posts, read 239,873 times
Gold Medal List | US News Best High Schools
Rye Brook high school is one of the best high schools in nation. Many from Westchester county are there.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 PM

1,488 posts, read 3,948,210 times
Yonkers HS got a gold medal on that list, and Scarsdale only a silver? What the heck criteria are they using?

FWIW, I wouldn't count on parking at the Rye station if you end up in Rye Brook - there is an 8-10 year wait list for it that you have to pay to stay on annually. Parking and traffic can be a hassle in Port Chester, too (meters only). Rye Brook can be a headache if you need to commute to NYC every day, but people do it. Just make sure you factor in door to door time because in some cases, your commute from lower Westchester can end up being longer than some communities north of White Plains (which are generally cheaper, too.)

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 AM

23 posts, read 54,833 times
Considering Rye Brook to move to. Are there any Indians in the area?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM

1,488 posts, read 3,948,210 times
Is this a serious question? I'm sure there is at least one somewhere! What number makes you comfortable?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 54,833 times
I meant is there a reasonable population of Indians in the area. A previous post said there was just a family some time ago, approximate % will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County