Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

52 posts, read 124,060 times

Advertisements

Hi- We have an accepted offer on a short sale house in NY. The house has 2 decks (connected by a few steps/walkway), and one of the decks does not have a C/O (certificate of occupancy). The listing agent says that the sellers are not going to get a C/O. Our inspector recommended that the deck be removed since there is rotting etc in it. Our mortgage broker is concerned about us being able to close on a house with a deck with no C/O, and recommended us resolving the issue. What are our options? If the sellers cannot get a C/O, should we ask them to just rip the deck up? I would rather us take care of it and do a good job, but I want to be able to get a mortgage and close. Any advice??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM

258 posts, read 907,989 times
The same thing happened to us when we bought our house. The deck was a hazard and had no C/O. We didn't want them to replace it because we wanted it done well and we wanted synthetic wood with three little ones. We also didn't want them to tear it down because we didn't want a door leading to nothing from the kitchen until we built the deck. Our lawyer drew up a paper stating we would replace the deck according to code and we signed it. That was all we needed to purchase the house but this wasn't a short sale so I am not sure if different rules apply.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
VRV

73 posts, read 222,555 times
We are almost six months going into a signed contract on a short sale. I don't know your circumstances but I so wish I hadn't done it. School is about to start and we are still not in our house. Even best case scenarios are complicated on short sales, so if you have any type of problem I would strongly reconsider.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,234 times
Is this the one in rosedale area, white plains. I guess you will be tied to the deal for 6 months or more. We looked at that one but rightfully decided not to go with it. The short sale process in NY area is painfull as VRV is indicating. you are at the Bank's mercy. If these banks were willing to make things a bit easy a lot of their short sale properties would move faster.

Believe me there are other good opportunities out there in this market. Just a matter of looking a bit harder.

Thats my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County