U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM

11 posts, read 22,139 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently considering a move to WEstchester county. We live in the city of Denver now and are city people. We want to be as close to Manhattan as possible due to that fact. Are Pelham and Larchmont the best or only options for 30 min. to Grand Central? Will we really take the 30 minutes on a saturday to go into Manhattan or is this my pipe dream? Do any Westchester folks take advantage of the close proximity to the city, not from a commute standpoint, but just to spend a sat. in Central Park?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,365,374 times
Pelham comes in at just under 30 mins from the station to the city, and Grand Central puts you right in midtown. Central Park is not to far a walk from there up 5th Ave, or you can hope on the 4,5,6. Its up to you and your energy level as to whether you will go or not, I know people who do and people that intended to but don't. If NYC is new to you, you're more likely to go explore it in my opinion.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 AM

71 posts, read 216,979 times
My husband and I are moving (next week) out of the city to Westchester. Pelham was our first choice to to the short commute to GC, but the housing stock is very limited, unless you have a large budget. The houses are quite old, on very small plots of land.
We ended up buying in Mamaroneck, which is a 36 minute ride into GC.

You can also check out Hastings on Hudson - I think it is about a 30 - 35 minute train ride from GC.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,105,045 times
Scarsdale and Crestwood will also land you into GCT fairly quickly on the Harlem line.

I guess it depends on where you live, but most of my neighbors seem to see the city as a place to make money, and then come home to the suburbs every night. Their weekends are filled with the usual stuff - birthday parties, soccers, etc...not hanging out in the city. It can be done, sure, and certainly most folks go a few times a year for events outside of work, but I just don't see it on a widespread basis. But then again, my kids are all fairly young so the idea of carting them into the city (more like 45 mins on weekends as there are fewer express trains) isn't particularly appealing at this stage.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,365,374 times
good point about the fewer express trains at the weekend

Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks for responses and insider perspective. Really appreciate it. We cart our kids to DT denver all the time, but 7 minutes vs 30 is definitely a huge difference. And good point re: the abundance of bday parties, soccer games, etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,105,045 times
And like I mentioned, it really is more than 45+ on a weekend. And it's not cheap...$10-14 each way I think per person on the train, but parking can be found relatively cheaply on weekends as an alternative.

As long as you are more city people than outdoorsy people, you should do fine here. We moved from LA and have a lot of friends near Boulder and such, and they have a really hard time adjusting out here because of the lifestyle difference. We took our kids to downtown LA for fun, sure, but the majority of our activities revolved around amazing weather, beaches, hiking, skiing, outdoorsy stuff, etc. and we are still struggling over a year later to acclimate.

We've met a ton of great people and love our town, but we moved for a job - not because we particularly wanted to be in NY. Sounds like you are in the opposite boat so you'll be fine.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM

835 posts, read 2,214,292 times
On the weekends we drive into the city. I would NEVER drive in on a weekday (okay, maybe at noon), but weekends are generally fine. We can be in midtown from Scarsdale in 30 minutes. And even though during the week the rush hour trains from here are 30 minutes, the locals on the weekend are 45, so that's important to remember.

We do go in periodically, more in the summer, to visit the Museum of Natural History, Children's Museum (although there's one in Norwalk, CT, too), go to Central Park, etc... But yeah, with 2 young kids we drive. Maybe when the youngest is 3 or 4 the train might be more manageable, but I'd say they'd need to be walking (no strollers) before I'd train it in.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM

2,521 posts, read 6,118,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
On the weekends we drive into the city. I would NEVER drive in on a weekday (okay, maybe at noon), but weekends are generally fine. We can be in midtown from Scarsdale in 30 minutes. And even though during the week the rush hour trains from here are 30 minutes, the locals on the weekend are 45, so that's important to remember.

We do go in periodically, more in the summer, to visit the Museum of Natural History, Children's Museum (although there's one in Norwalk, CT, too), go to Central Park, etc... But yeah, with 2 young kids we drive. Maybe when the youngest is 3 or 4 the train might be more manageable, but I'd say they'd need to be walking (no strollers) before I'd train it in.
What he said. Closer to home is the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Both are world class and bear repeated visits.

Nobody here suffers from lack of artistic, musical, social or any other human-centered activities. OTOH, if you're looking for nature, easy trips to the beach, solitude or outdoor sports it's tougher.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks Streetsmart and kletter1mann. That's exactly the vision I have in my head..travel there on weekends, but wondered how practical that really would be. I also realize we rarely do downtown Denver in winter either, so understand summer/warm months might be only time we take advantage. Nice to hear you both take advantage of proximity. Granted, I"m sure there's plenty that Westchester offers in and of itself. Curious about kletter1mann's comment about "nature" being hard to find in Wchester? Again, Denver is full of nature, but we aren't in the mountains every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County