U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 21,607 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what you do in the winter in your county! We are moving from Denver, and we go to the museum at least once a week, McDonalds indoor playground (not for the food) and Bounce houses. Are there many options in Westchester?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,293 times
Becoming a SAHM at the end of this month and this is going to be my thing....planning activities for my girls (16 month old twins) during the winter....some ideas so far:
- music classes at groove in larchmont
- singing up for activities at the JCC in scarsdale or the ymca in rye
- definitely an indoor gym class....trying to coordinate a group at tumble bugs
- library hopping...white plains, scarsdale, harrison and larchmont all have group activities
- playdates ofcourse...

i'm in need of ideas as well!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Thank you. Yes, sounds kinda like our life now here. It's always a struggle finding a variety of activities in Winter. WE don't have a ymca that does much for kids, so that's a good tip. Library hopping..tell me about it!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,855,532 times
If you move in and get a chance try the brand-spanking new library in Mamaroneck - its great for kids.

I've also read about winter-kayaking on the Sound leaving from Mamaroneck, but you probably need to be slightly deranged to do that.

Karate, yoga, etc. for kids also.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 927,220 times
There is cross country skiing 45 minutes north of there, in Fahnstock state park. (putnam county)

Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM

258 posts, read 812,986 times
We used to go to the aquarium in Norwalk. I would take them to the children's museum in Norwalk and LI (LI is much better). I would also take my kids to Chuck E Cheese in Danbury and Palisades mall.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,733,161 times
Thumbs up for the aquarium in Norwalk. The kids museum there is fine, as is the one in Manhattan. When I was a SAHD for two years I went to two different weekly playgroups that met in gyms and set up some regular playdates. I did lots of library story hours and music events (in a 15 minute radius there is probably a story hour every day) as well as those in book stores. We went to lots of coffee houses to hang out and chat with other parents and kids, and on not-too-cold days we went to playgrounds and for walks in the woods. We did an indoor gym class for awhile and a music class, and then when he was a little older he did preschool for 2 hours 2 days a week, just for the social interaction. I also took the wee one into the city to go to Natural History or another museum about once a month, sometimes twice. There's plenty to do... I miss those days!!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for responses.really appreciate. Trying to get a feel for the area via miles away is challenging to say the least.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 AM

2,478 posts, read 5,736,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd17 View Post
Please tell me what you do in the winter in your county! We are moving from Denver, and we go to the museum at least once a week, McDonalds indoor playground (not for the food) and Bounce houses. Are there many options in Westchester?
There's no reason to even contemplate bounce house and McD's. OMG! This is the smallest of your concerns -- the main concern being whether you can afford proximity to NYC while affording all those Saturdays in The City. A family can EASILY blow through $100 (tolls, parking, admissions, lunch, etc) in an afternoon. If you're going to a show, concert, circus etc you can double or triple that. Regardless, if museums in NYC are part of your plan they'll exhaust you long before you exhaust them. Take the number in Denver and add a zero, at least. As others have noted, driving to NYC on weekends is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County